Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Nox 07 Passenger airbag issue

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2019, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Nox 07 Passenger airbag issue

For the past few months my passenger airbag signal on the dash inconsistently turns on and off. This happens when a passenger is in the seat. It tends to turn on and off when the car is turning or if it's really cold outside - I'm in the midwest so sometimes it's below zero. At first I thought maybe it was the sensor connection so I made sure the connections were secure. I tried to adjust the seat by moving it back and forth and seeing if I could replicate the issue, but that didn't seem to matter. I have noticed that when the car has been driven for around 15 minutes the airbag signal on the dash turns on (saying it's working) and stays on. This is only for the passenger airbag, not the driver. Any help out there?
Old January 3rd, 2019, 9:34 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

The passenger presence sensor in the passenger seat cushion is going bad. We've had this problem for a few years.

The only fix is to replace the bottom seat cushion with the sensor which is cost about $500 the last time I checked. However, there is a company that makes a bypass box for the passenger presence sensor for about $90. It simply tells the computer that everything is okay and the passenger airbag is activated all the time. Before our Equinox became the secondary vehicle I considered buying this.
The following users liked this post:
nox2007problems (December 28th, 2019)
Old January 3rd, 2019, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks - that's good to know. I'll look into that less expensive option.