Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Equinox (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/)
-   -   Rattle noise in front end: 2005-2006 Equinox (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/rattle-noise-front-end-2005-2006-equinox-55898/)

Dave1963 January 17th, 2013 6:08 AM

Rattle noise in front end: 2005-2006 Equinox

I just wanted to share two items I found regarding a rattle in the front end of the Equinox. One can be heard, while the other can be heard and felt. I own a 2005 Equinox FWD.

The first is the one that's heard and felt in the steering wheel. It's the steering knuckle, under the dash. The knuckle sits between two shafts, and rests on splines. If you take the lower plastic cover off the bottom of the dash, (dash to firewall, NOT under the steering column) There's a TSB on this, but the number eludes me at this time.

You will notice play (linear) in the steering shaft which causes the rattleing noise when you drive over bumps and during braking.

To repair: Loosen the top bolt that regulates how far the upper shaft is slid onto the coupler. Slide the coupler up as far as it will go, and hold it there while you retighten the bolt. Replace the cover.

The second noise I heard after that, was a faint knocking noise from the front end, when hitting bumps, but ONLY with the brakes not applied.

This noise isn't harmful, however, annoying to me. As it turns out, there's a TSB on this and the fix is are redesigned (perhaps larger in diameter) brake caliper pins. The TSB is 05-05-23-005A, the part number is #15824369 for the kit.

To repair: Simply replace the hardware, lube the new pins with silicone (not antiseize or grease) and upon reinstall, torque the hardware to 32 ft/lbs.

oleg1981 January 17th, 2013 11:20 AM

thanks for the info! have this noises from column to. will try to check it.

ruley73 January 17th, 2013 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dave1963 (Post 238343)
To repair: Simply replace the hardware, lube the new pins with silicone (not antiseize or grease) and upon reinstall, torque the hardware to 32 ft/lbs.

Don't use silicone on the pins. High temp anti-seize can be used in a pinch, but a high temp brake grease is recommended. High temp brake grease is usually silicone-based, but is not simply silicone. I think this is what you meant.

Also, there is a TSB out for rattling when driving over bumps/rough roads at slow speeds. This applies to 2005-2007 Equinox/Torrent and the fix is to install a revised rear bushing on both of the front control arms. The TSB specifies p/n 25823014 which has since been replaced with p/n 25919637. These bushings are currently only available from a GM stealership, 'er I mean dealership.

Our Equinox started having this problem shortly after the warranty was up, and the sway bar links are still good. The bushings are currently about $52/ea +S&H from gmpartsdirect.com so we've just lived with it as it's not a big deal.

Dave1963 January 17th, 2013 2:50 PM

Originally Posted by ruley73 (Post 238354)
Don't use silicone on the pins. High temp anti-seize can be used in a pinch, but a high temp brake grease is recommended. High temp brake grease is usually silicone-based, but is not simply silicone. I think this is what you meant.

Also, there is a TSB out for rattling when driving over bumps/rough roads at slow speeds. This applies to 2005-2007 Equinox/Torrent and the fix is to install a revised rear bushing on both of the front control arms. The TSB specifies p/n 25823014 which has since been replaced with p/n 25919637. These bushings are currently only available from a GM stealership, 'er I mean dealership.

Our Equinox started having this problem shortly after the warranty was up, and the sway bar links are still good. The bushings are currently about $52/ea +S&H from gmpartsdirect.com so we've just lived with it as it's not a big deal.

Thanks Ruley. My car's still under warranty. I don't want to really take it in and complain about a small noise, because they'll immediately try to sell me struts.

My noise is minor, and only does it with the brakes NOT applied. Even the slightest brake pressure, and the noise stops.

Yes, thanks for the "silicone" correction. Didn't mean to misguide anyone.

I read something about the bushing. I'll have to look into those as well. I understand the torque amount for the control arm may have changed as well on reinstall....

Dave1963 January 18th, 2013 7:15 AM

Read here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/he...ttle_noise.pdf

oleg1981 January 18th, 2013 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dave1963 (Post 238405)

thanks! very helpful!! next month planing to install new pads and disks! so there will be time for pins to! :)

oleg1981 January 18th, 2013 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ruley73 (Post 238354)

so its easear to buy a new arm with bushings. on rockauto you can get them from 60-100$

ruley73 January 18th, 2013 3:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by oleg1981 (Post 238421)
so its easear to buy a new arm with bushings. on rockauto you can get them from 60-100$

This is true. However, as with any aftermarket parts, there is no guarantee that you are getting the latest design of the part that is specified by the OEM (in this case GM/Chevrolet). So after purchasing the control arms and installing them, there is a chance you'll be $200 poorer and still have the noise to deal with if the new control arms have the bushings with the older design.

Another good example of this is the upper engine mount for any 1992-2002 Saturn S-Series. Saturn first used a "solid" design of this mount that is pictured below.

Attachment 5021

Then Saturn switched to an inferior design sometime in the late 1990s which came to be known as the "frowny" design pictured below.

Attachment 5022

Then they ultimately decided the first design was better and went back to it in 2001 per Saturn TSB 01-T-30A.

Now, the only way you are guaranteed to get a solid design mount is to order p/n 21012185 from a GM dealership that is an authorized Saturn Service Center. The most popular aftermarket engine mount manufacturer (Anchor) still to this day only produces the frowny design despite Saturn advising not to use it over ten years ago. Some people (including myself) have been able to get a solid mount from Autozone that is manufactured by DEA and sold under AutoZone's house brand "Duralast". However, one must look in the box before buying it because a frowny mount may be in it.

oleg1981 January 18th, 2013 8:50 PM

ruley73

dont know about the shape but when outside temperature is -22C(-7F) nothing rattles :D :D LOL

Dave1963 January 19th, 2013 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by oleg1981 (Post 238458)
ruley73

dont know about the shape but when outside temperature is -22C(-7F) nothing rattles :D :D LOL

No.....you just can't hear it, over the rattling of your own TEETH. ;)