Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Rattle noise in front end: 2005-2006 Equinox

Old January 20th, 2013, 6:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave1963
No.....you just can't hear it, over the rattling of your own TEETH.
-45 is coming after tomorrow. i wonder if the car will start.
Old December 4th, 2013, 5:38 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oleg1981
thanks for the info! have this noises from column to. will try to check it.
Oleg1981, did you solve the rattle sound?!

My GF owns an Equinox '05 AWD since a while back but has recently started to hear this rattle sound its mentioned on the first post, inside the cabin, under the drivers side dash, on the steering column.

I can read from Dave1963 that this migh be a somehow easy repair but would like to first confirm if someone else has done it and fix it.

Thanks in advance for you replies...
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Update

Well thanks again Chevrolet forum... Another problem easily solved by your help
For us it turn out to be as easy as re tighten a bolt... as Dave1963 said at the begining of the thread.

The first is the one that's heard and felt in the steering wheel. It's the steering knuckle, under the dash. The knuckle sits between two shafts, and rests on splines. If you take the lower plastic cover off the bottom of the dash, (dash to firewall, NOT under the steering column) There's a TSB on this, but the number eludes me at this time.

You will notice play (linear) in the steering shaft which causes the rattleing noise when you drive over bumps and during braking.

To repair: Loosen the top bolt that regulates how far the upper shaft is slid onto the coupler. Slide the coupler up as far as it will go, and hold it there while you retighten the bolt. Replace the cover.
Here's the guilty bolt...
(This was for '05 Equinox AWD by the way...)

Old March 25th, 2014, 12:43 AM
CF Beginner

I've had this rattling noise in the front end of my 06 Equinox specifically on the driver side when I'm driving on surfaces that isn't too smooth for a few months now. Around the same time the noise started to happen, I also noticed lightness in the steering wheel. The Chevy dealer has replaced the steering column twice which made the noise go away but only lasted for a number of weeks each time. After bringing it back to the Chevy dealer following the second time the steering column was replaced, their diagnostics isolated the noise around the steering column area but not the steering column. They called GM to get some guidance and all GM told them was do not replace the part. Really, GM? Needless to say, all my dealer can tell me is bring it back when the symptom get worst. My question to this is, then what?

Sorry all, I'm just pretty frustrated considering that I think my heater core now also needs replacement
Old March 23rd, 2021, 12:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default A million thanks

"Rattle noise in front end: 2005-2006 Equinox

I just wanted to share two items I found regarding a rattle in the front end of the Equinox. One can be heard, while the other can be heard and felt. I own a 2005 Equinox FWD.

The first is the one that's heard and felt in the steering wheel. It's the steering knuckle, under the dash. The knuckle sits between two shafts, and rests on splines. If you take the lower plastic cover off the bottom of the dash, (dash to firewall, NOT under the steering column) There's a TSB on this, but the number eludes me at this time."

This is for whoever wrote this post:. A million thanks my friend. You definitely know your vehicle. I never would have thought that tightening a bolt (five minute job) would solve that irritating clunking sound coming from the steering column every time I hit a bump or a pothole. I took this Equinox to two different mechanics who charged me an arm and a leg to try to fix that awful sound. They put it up on racks and disassembled the front brakes and told me it was the bushings and that it was going to cost me some money. With the knowledge you shared on your post, I was able to fix it in under five minutes for free. If I could, I would buy you a beer and shake your hand. You are an angel. Thanks again. Sincerely,
Mike V., Albuquerque, NM