Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Remote start on 18 Equinox LT

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2019, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start on 18 Equinox LT

I just recently got a remote start programmed to my Equinox (it wasn’t factory)

my question is:
Why doesn’t the cabin heat up when it’s started ? I started it earlier and when I got in it, I noticed none of the lights inside were on (windshield defrost/floor heater etc)

why is this ? Is it because the coolant isn’t heated enough to engage it ? Or should I bring it back to the dealership ?

UPDATE
I let the car run from the remote start for 10 minutes. Started it again via the remote start for another 5 minutes. Got in and my cabin was barely warm. When I pushed my start button to actually turn the car on, the thermostat went up to the normal temperature (180°)

The whole point of a remote start is to warm the car. Which it is not doing.

Last edited by Sally Nicole; January 31st, 2019 at 2:04 PM.
Old January 31st, 2019, 5:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From a cold start it will take several minutes for the engine to generate enough heat to warm the cabin. With the recent cold temperatures from the Polar Vortex affecting most of the country it will take a while (15-20 minutes) for the cabin to get warm jut by idling the engine. The engine will actually warm up faster by driving it. Example - My Ram will have good heat within driving 5 miles, but if I let it idle from a cold start it will take 15-20 minutes before it has decent heat.

Not sure about the remote start set up you have, but with the factory setup (I have a '14 Equinox LT) none of the gauges work until the key is inserted and the ignition is turned "on" (or in your case the start/stop button is pushed) when using the remote start feature. At that point all the gauges become active.

You may want to check the coolant level. The level should be between the add and full mark in the overflow container and up to the neck of the radiator cap in the radiator. Low coolant level can result in marginal heat.
Old January 31st, 2019, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Doug D
From a cold start it will take several minutes for the engine to generate enough heat to warm the cabin. With the recent cold temperatures from the Polar Vortex affecting most of the country it will take a while (15-20 minutes) for the cabin to get warm jut by idling the engine. The engine will actually warm up faster by driving it. Example - My Ram will have good heat within driving 5 miles, but if I let it idle from a cold start it will take 15-20 minutes before it has decent heat.

Not sure about the remote start set up you have, but with the factory setup (I have a '14 Equinox LT) none of the gauges work until the key is inserted and the ignition is turned "on" (or in your case the start/stop button is pushed) when using the remote start feature. At that point all the gauges become active.

You may want to check the coolant level. The level should be between the add and full mark in the overflow container and up to the neck of the radiator cap in the radiator. Low coolant level can result in marginal heat.

there is nothing coming from the vents inside of the car. My moms 13 Equinox would blow air from the vents (would go off the setting that was used when the car was shut off) when the remote start was used. I would let it run and there would be no air coming from the vents/defrosters until I pushed the button to turn on the car.
Old January 31st, 2019, 9:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

did you have a dealer installed factory remote start or a aftermarket remote start?
-factory remote start...you will have to go into options and set it up to turn on the heated seats, defrost etc.

-aftermarket remote start kits...they have to be wired to power the blower motor and heated seats as they will not have power unless the key is in run.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
did you have a dealer installed factory remote start or a aftermarket remote start?
-factory remote start...you will have to go into options and set it up to turn on the heated seats, defrost etc.

-aftermarket remote start kits...they have to be wired to power the blower motor and heated seats as they will not have power unless the key is in run.
It’s aftermarket

if it’s above 32°F (I believe) it will activate the defrosters. Anything less than that, it doesn’t, despite running for 2 cycles (20 minutes total)
Old February 3rd, 2019, 1:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Sally Nicole

It’s aftermarket

if it’s above 32°F (I believe) it will activate the defrosters. Anything less than that, it doesn’t, despite running for 2 cycles (20 minutes total)
if its aftermarket...they didn't wire it up...it is an extra charge as it requires more parts and time to install.

Old February 3rd, 2019, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
if its aftermarket...they didn't wire it up...it is an extra charge as it requires more parts and time to install.
well that’s stupid. I paid over $400 all together for it. I expect it to do what it’s intended to do. Regardless of temperature.

Ill be going to the dealer this week to express my concern.

Last edited by Sally Nicole; February 3rd, 2019 at 2:42 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 2:45 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sally Nicole

well that’s stupid. I paid over $400 all together for it. I expect it to do what it’s intended to do.

Ill be going to the dealer this week to express my concern.
Technically, it is doing what it was intended to do. It allows you to start the vehicle remotely. True, it doesn't help much if it is below freezing and the defrost/heat is not blowing, but it is remotely starting the vehicle. I take it this was dealer installed aftermarket kit? They should have outlined its features and if there was an option to control the fan/heater/defroster (even at extra cost) it should have been made known to you. As the customer it is also incumbent upon you to make sure you understand what the device can and cannot do and if there may be additional charges. We all like to throw the dealer under the bus, but it doesn't help when we (the customer) doesn't do their homework.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Doug D
Technically, it is doing what it was intended to do. It allows you to start the vehicle remotely. True, it doesn't help much if it is below freezing and the defrost/heat is not blowing, but it is remotely starting the vehicle. I take it this was dealer installed aftermarket kit? They should have outlined its features and if there was an option to control the fan/heater/defroster (even at extra cost) it should have been made known to you. As the customer it is also incumbent upon you to make sure you understand what the device can and cannot do and if there may be additional charges. We all like to throw the dealer under the bus, but it doesn't help when we (the customer) doesn't do their homework.
The kit was bought from GM itself and dealer installed. Nothing was made known to me. The whole point of a remote start is to heat/cool the car. Which is what the description said on the GM website when it was bought. Not to start the engine and it not do anything if it’s below 32°F

If that was the case, it should be mentioned on the website as well at the dealer when installed.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner