Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Rushing water sound when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2007, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rushing water sound when accelerating

I own a 2005 Equinox which I purchased brand new back in 2005. I've hadnumerous problemswith the car from the very beginning and quite frankly, I can't wait to trade it in!

I had the Dexcool problem with the smelly coolant, which the dealer took care of. Then, the car would shake terribly when you hit the brakes, dealer took care of that too. Then one day I stopped to get gas, I started the car and as I accelerated out of the gas station I heard what sounded like a loud rush of water running through the system. I took it to the dealer again and of course, they didn't hear anything. Brought the car home and it started doing it again. Took it back to the dealer and they finally heard the sound too. First they told me it was air in the coolant line and they needed to flush the line. Went to pick the car up from having the line flushed, turned the car on, low and behold...the rushing sound was still there. They told me to take it home and run it for a few days as there was probably still air in the coolant line!!!! The sound didn't go away, so I took it back again. This time they said the head gasket needed to be replaced.The dealer replaced the head gasket and finally the rushing soundstopped...for a little while. Now it's startedall over again.The rushing sound is something that I hearevery single time AI drive the car.The check engine light sometimes goes on butshuts off within 5 minutes or so.There doesn't seem to be any liquid on the ground, so I don't think it's leaking...and of course, my warranty is up!The brakes squeakloudlyas well.

I really regret getting this car. I've owned several chevy's in the past and this is the first time that I've had so many problems with one car. I currently have 43,000 miles on the car. Has anyone else had the rushing water sound? Just wondering.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Rushing water sound when accelerating

the sound your hearing is most likely air being displaced as the dealer said, once an air lock occurs it can be quite awhile to erraticate, most dealerships won't take the several hours or so to do this....a general indicator you have a coolant problemis, the SES light on then off and a not so hot heat.
the best way to relieve the engine of air is with the air blead off screw, have the engine up to temperature and slowly loosen the screw, till coolant comes out, then secure, you may have to repeat this proceedure many times ... you'll notice that the amount of heat will increase the more air you nleed out.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 3:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Rushing water sound when accelerating

Art, sorry to hear u r having issues w/ your chevy. I have had issues too ie. premature brake rotor warpage at low mileage.
Old January 1st, 2021, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the top hose to your coolant reservoir. I pulled mine off and stuck a coat hanger into the reservoir. Turns out it was clogged and not allowing the coolant to recirculate back into it. Fixed my no heat at idle! Something so simple. SMDH!