Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Screw/Valve Bleeder

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2018, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screw/Valve Bleeder

I am having a couple of issues with my 2009 LT but lets start with the water sound coming from behind the dash issue. I was told it is air in the line and I need to burp, purge, bleed the air out. I have no idea where to locate the bleeder valve/screw to do this. If someone could please let me know exactly on this picture where to find them that would be awesome.

On a side note I'm heading over to a family members to have the code reader hooked and find out why I get the engine light/stabilitrak/reduced engine power warning coming on and off.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Screw/Valve Bleeder-car.jpg  
Old March 28th, 2018, 5:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Disconnect the EGR valve harness and remove the engine cover. You will then see the bleeder screw atop the water pump housing near the EGR valve. Per the service manual, the front right corner of the vehicle must be jacked up to properly bleed the cooling system with the bleeder screw.

I don't care what anyone says, I believe that sloshing sound you hear when you first start the engine is normal. I've been hearing it for years, and it is only audible when everything is turned off. Everything else works & sounds fine. The heater works great, and the engine never overheats or runs hot so I don't worry about it. You can bleed it with the bleeder screw until your heart's content, but I'm convinced that you will never get all the air out unless you have a power/vacuum bleeder like a shop uses.

Regarding your other issue, post what codes you find here.

Last edited by ruley73; March 28th, 2018 at 5:54 PM.
Old March 28th, 2018, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Ruley, I will probably just leave it for now. It doesn't overheat and my heater works fine. The other issue is much more of a concern. I will post codes.

Thanks again
Old March 28th, 2018, 7:23 PM
CF Pro Member

I just noticed in your last post that you also said you were seeing the "Reduced Engine Power"message. I bet P2135 is the code you find. If so, you'll need to replace the TPS on the throttle body. It's a common issue with the 3.4L/3.5L/3.9L V6 engines. Luckily, the OEM part (p/n 19300180) is relatively cheap and easy to replace. It's only ~$55 from rockauto.com. Only use the AC Delco part, which happens to be the cheapest option in this case.
Old March 29th, 2018, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

So my family member comes over with his code reader. Roadi RDT55 OBD2. Hooks it up and it doesn't show any codes. The engine light is on while doing this. Any ideas? Is it possible to update the reader? If it is I can't find out where.

Thanks
Old March 30th, 2018, 12:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Jason Briggs
So my family member comes over with his code reader. Roadi RDT55 OBD2. Hooks it up and it doesn't show any codes. The engine light is on while doing this. Any ideas? Is it possible to update the reader? If it is I can't find out where.

Thanks
As far as I can tell, that scanner is made to work specifically with VW/Audi vehicles. It may not be able to communicate with your Equinox because of this.

Last edited by ruley73; March 30th, 2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old March 30th, 2018, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

It gives two options on the start up screen. VW/Audi and OBDII. He's used it on my Honda before and it worked but maybe it won't work on the Equinox.
Old March 31st, 2018, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

I finally got this hooked up to a code reader that worked and it gave me P2135 which looks like exactly what you said. Throttle Position Sensor. Is there anything else I need to know or should I just get that fixed?

Thanks
Old April 1st, 2018, 2:03 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Jason Briggs
I finally got this hooked up to a code reader that worked and it gave me P2135 which looks like exactly what you said. Throttle Position Sensor. Is there anything else I need to know or should I just get that fixed?

Thanks
Pay attention to the order in which the metal retaining clips are removed/installed for the TPS and make sure the throttle relearn procedure is performed afterwards. Both of these topics are covered in the video below. Removing the throttle body is pretty straight forward. The service manual incorrectly states that removing the heater outlet pipe is required. You can remove and reinstall the throttle body mounting studs to avoid that. I used a 4mm hex socket for the studs, but the correct tool is a small female Torx socket. I'm guessing it's an E5 or E6 size, but I'm unsure. You should be able to reuse the throttle body mounting gasket if it is not damaged/warped.

Last edited by ruley73; April 1st, 2018 at 2:14 AM.