Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

serpentine belt

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2018, 8:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default serpentine belt

The kid called from the lake 100 miles away, her serpentine belt ripped up and she not move the car 2011 chevy equinox 3L v6. Guess what I had a new one in the garage, so I loaded tools jacket and food into the dogmobile and headed out. I finally find them , the car is parked on an incline in a gravel parking lot, so much from taking off a wheel. I figured I would look online, my phone was dead so let's be innovative. I removed the air box and the rubber tube to the throttle body, hmm looks like I need to remove the engine mount. I jacked up the engine and undid the nuts and bolts , not to tough. Got out the belt and started a 3 hour , ordeal trying to figure out how the belt fit. I brought my chromebook and the kid gave me a hotspot to get online. What an annoying process it took hours to find a correct diagram without any information.. We eventually undid the 3 .bolts on the tensioner and wiggled the belt into position, tighted the tensioner and used my 5 year old virgin belt tensioner tool ( knew I would need it some day) Once the belt was on it was only 40 minutes to button up everything
WHY WHY WHY is there so little information on the equinox, if there was information this job would be a bit of a pain , without it the job is a first class pain. I know GM see this as a huge money maker, a tow job, an hours work, but probably a 3 hour billed rate and an expensive part, that is cheap.
Old June 18th, 2018, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

there is no free info online for any vehicle. if you want it...ya gotta pay. Just be glad you don't have a vehicle that loops the belts around coolant hoses...yeah, ya gotta drain the cooling system to change a drivebelt. Car are not made to be fixed on the side of the road anymore. service life for a drivebelt is approx. 4 years.