Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2019, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0404 & P0405 after towing small Uhaul trailer.

Hello,

I was recently towing a small Uhaul with my 2007 Equinox and had the Stabilitrak error message come on and codes p0404 and p0405 come on. I replaced the EGR valve and reset the computer and cleared the codes, but the codes appear again. Any idea what step I should take next?

Thanks and blessings,

Jake
Old March 5th, 2019, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 equonox

I have an equinox which has the stabilitrak problem and I thought I was doing a good thing getting this car for my family. Ita beautifull but almost ended up being the worst thing I ever did. Car shut down on the highway and my wife and kids were in DANGER!!! On top of that, Im stuck with the problem and its a money isseu now! Been a loyal chevy guy for over 25yrs. This may be where we part. I've seen complaints from owners since pulling off of the lot! What am I to do? No one can fix it?
Old March 17th, 2019, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem

Originally Posted by mediccj
Hey guys, I'm glad I found this thread.

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT FWD 4 cylinder. Current mileage runs around 93k miles. Bought it used from the dealership just over one year ago (December 2013).

A little while back, my check engine light came on. Ran it and showed P00013. Exhaust Camshaft Position sensor. Cool, I'll get it replaced when it warms up, not that big of a deal.

The other day however, I was driving and I recieved the infamous "Service Stabilitrak" and "Reduced Engine Power" message while I was driving and my speeds drastically reduced. After nearly getting rear ended, and not being dramatic, I was able to pull off to the side of the road. I restarted the car and I was good for another mile or so. Filled the gas tank and put some cleaner in the fuel as well. Went to the dealership (Al Serra in Grand Blanc Michigan) and they told me I'd have to bring it in next week. They also said it could be the speed sensor. So I barely made it home, I did stall out in one intersection, where I waited a couple minutes and it restarted. I took it out yesterday again because it was warmer, and it did the same thing.

We ran the codes again, and it said Throttle Body Sensor/System. Upon doing my research, this seems to be the problem, and the whole system needs to be replaced. I was told that this is NOT covered under warranty even though its directly part of the powertrain. I'm taking the vehicle in Monday morning. I really cannot afford this repair since I am off work due to injury, so I'm worried its going to run in the 400-500 range from my research.

Does anyone know where the Throttle Body System/Sensor is located? I know on some vehicles, its right on top and is held on with 4 bolts and can be easily removed and cleaned as well.

Also, where is the Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor located?

Finally, another problem is I am burning through oil like no other. We did a oil life consumption test, and when I took it back to the dealership (Suski in Birch Run) they just gave the run around and said that is perfectly normal to burn oil. I am reading about timing chain issues and a few others. It's getting ridiculous. I came from Ford to a GM product and I am regretting my decision.

I just wanted to post what the most likely problem is and ask a few questions. If any of the GM folks want me to PM them, let me know. However unless you can get me a service bulletin, recall number, or warranty information, there is not much you can do about this. This is a significant danger to folks driving, I can confirm this most definitely.

Thank you all!
My daughter has a 2015 Nox with the same problems have you figured anything out. She also bought here from Al Serra about 5 months ago. She drove down to South Carolina over the weekend and now her car is broke down and she's trying to figure it out.
Old March 21st, 2019, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default Bad business practices

Originally Posted by emadgein
Similar Issue related to Stabilitrack and/or ABS

While traveling on the interstate and higher speed sections of highway, my 2007 Equinox (about 95,000 miles) will randomly apply the brakes boosting the RPMs and make the car very difficult to drive. Once we turn the car off and let it sit, the problem vanishes. There is a vibration. Before we narrowed it down to the brakes, we thought it was a transmission issue. My wife and I are frustrated to say the least.

The brakes were not applied by either of us. This only seems to occur on open sections of road or on the interstate and usually after some driving time of at least an hour. The car's RPMs go up to around 3100 with the car traveling at about 65. The car vibrates and you can hear the vibration of the brakes trying to stop or slow the car. I was behind my wife the last time and I could smell something burning. I have videos of the gauges showing the boost in RPM's as well as one with the brakes smoking. The "Service Traction Control" light comes on at the beginning of the second video...approximately 3 to 5 minutes after the problem started.

On the latest episode...we got the car to the shoulder and let it sit for about 10 minutes and decided to return to the GM dealership. They have now have the car and the videos...and of course...the can't "duplicate" the issue. This is the second attempt to fix the car. It is under warranty through US Warranty. I purchased the car used at a Toyota Dealership and aside from the issue I'm having (it's not safe to drive), I like the car. That being said. I needs to be fixed.

The battery has been replaced (not sure why really...I just played along)
The RF wheel speed sensor has been replaced.
The Battery has been replaced
The EBCM module has been replaced.

These may have amplified the problem...but it didn't happen on the way back to the dealership.

Received the car again, and on the way to Appalachicola, FL my wife experienced the same issue again while heading over the bridge. I am at a loss. We drove the car extensively over the weekend. We were able to "duplicate" the issue on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and now tonight on Wednesday. I dread taking the car back to the GM dealer. They didn't return my phone calls or my email. Dale Earnhardt Jr Chevrolet in Tallahassee, FL is where I took the car. They are ASE (or ASC?) certified which is required by the warranty program I have.

Any Ideas?

Very, Very frustrated.

Mark
it really bothers me that these places say they cant duplicate the issue. It's an engine issue, they burning is probably oil getting in through bad rings. So if you notice a cloud of smoke out the exhaust, that is an indicator of an engine problem. What happens step by step is....the engine rings go bad, oil gets into the chamber, engine oil levels go low causing more wear on the engine, which causes overheating and lose of fluids to transmission and coolant levels. No dummy lights are triggered so every thing seems fine. Then one day your driving down the highway and out of nowhere the Stabilatrack light comes on and engine reduction kicks in. The Stabilatrack system kicks in to save your engine from ultimate failure because there is little to no oil in it. Then you start checking the transmission levels only to find out that it is bone dry. And your coolant levels are low. Keep in mind, NO DUMMY LIGHTS NEVERR COME ON! This is an issue with alot of GM, CHEVY vehicles. And of course they cant replicate the issue....because they are relying on sensors to catch this stuff. Sensors do not pick up bad rings in an engine! POST WHAT YOU CAN TO SOCIAL MEDIA AND FORCE THESE MANUFACTURERS TO FIX THESE ISSUE BEFORE MORE PEOPLE GET HURT OR SUCKERED INTO THOUSAND OF DOLLARS.
Old March 21st, 2019, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rikis
Tonight my wife experienced problems with the Stabilitrak light . The engine run out of power and the car stopped working it lost all power. She was able to park with the momentum of the sped, but the steering-wheel got very hard to turn. I went to rescue her but left the Chevy Equinox in the middle of the desert.
When we purchased the car back in 2011 we experienced the same issue but it fixed itself and dealer could not find anything wrong. Now 75K miles later same issue and big problems with this car. I can see why this model will be responsible for a big accident in the free way. Are there any law suits against them for this problem?
And does any one know how to correct the problem?
hope customer service helped you, but I'm almost positive they didnt. Anytime the Stabilatrack system comes on with these vehicles, it's always an engine issue such as the rings going bad. Oil gets into the chamber, you lose compression, which is power to the engine to accelerate properly, the garages can never duplicate the issue, and they say it is a sensor. So you spend money on replacing sensors that aren't bad, the problem gets worse, next thing you know your buring oil out your exhaust, your engine light is always coming on or the Stabilatrack kicks in and, compltet engine failure. Sensors do not detect bad rings in the engine, nor can you tell that there is an issue because your dummy lights never come on. Then you also check the transmission levels only to find out that it is bone dry and your coolant levels are low. This is an issue that GM and Chevy will not take care of because they can not duplicate the issue. It's the design of the engine....so maybe they need to call around to garages and collect these vehicles that have these issues and go from there. I worked for GM in Rochester, NY....I know about the short cuts they take and the cheap metals used. Look at the 1999 Chevy Intrigue blower motor issues they had. I caught the problem when they where making bad parts....stopped production of that blower motor because of the testing was out of specs. Got suspended for 2 weeks for stopping production, they continued to make and ship these blower motors to Lockport, NY where they were put into vehicles and started to seize up in "the field". Despite "Union" protection, I lost pay and 3600 works lost their jobs eventually. Google anything you'd like, it's there! And I'm sure a rep from GM or Chevy will see this and be like, no, this never happened. It did!
Old March 23rd, 2019, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update since repair.

Originally Posted by caibaiosaimm
I didn't read all the way through this thread. Just wondering if you had this issue resolved yet? I had the same problems. I ordered the throttle body, changed the part my self it takes about 30 minutes it is not hard to do at all. While I was at it, I took out the Mass air flow sensor and cleaned that and replaced the air filter with a K&N part. Having said all that. I haven't had the issue re-appear yet and it's been two weeks now.
How is your vehicle now after a few more weeks? I have had this reoccurring problem for a month and a half now and am troubleshooting with my mechanic.
Old March 24th, 2019, 9:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default contact problem

After cleaning to contacts and then applying the silicone grease, the problem stopped. and it did not return in the following year and then we sold it.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issues!!!

I've never had issues with my chevys I've owned, but I purchased a 2014 equinox back in June of 2017 and I've been having issues with it ever since I bought it!!! Very upset. This stabilktrak and reduced power is getting old. We have done everything!! We cant keep putting money into this car!!!!
Old April 27th, 2019, 1:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems the Stabilitrac deal is a catch all warning thing on the DIC. I have seen a variety of issues other have had and fixed that all started with the "stabilitrac" warning, even intake and exhaust solenoid replacements fixed the issue for some.
Old May 18th, 2019, 12:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 2012 Chevy equinox and mine did the same thing. Started jerking, stabilitrak light comes on, then engine light and then the reduced engine power light comes on. I would turn it off and wait about 10 min and restart it and the stabilitrak light would go off and the engine light would go off in about 12-24hrs.

Runs horrible, sounds horrible when you crank it and once the engine would warm up it would begin to jerk when I would idle. It got so bad that I couldn’t go through drive throughs and when sitting at a redlight I would have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it over a certain amount of RPMs.

I took it to the mechanic they checked the codes and said it was my cam shaft position sensor which I had replaced. That helped for a while, Then every time it would get close to needing an oil change the jerking would start and get worse. I would have the oil changed and it immediately went away for a couple of months and then it would start up again. I’m a travel nurse and I put a lot of miles on mine so I was changing my oil every 3000 miles because of the issue. It got to the point where an oil change wouldn’t help it.

It ended up in an amazing mechanics shop off and on for about 3 months and after 2000 bucks(solenoids, timing chain, etc) replaced, it never got fixed. The mechanic said it’s brining oil at an alarming rate so quick that they thought I had a leak but I didn’t. They couldn’t figure out where the oil was going and he finally threw his hands up and gave up and told me my best bet was to go trade it in but that wasn’t an option for me. I was at the end of my rope and begin to cry out to God and I prayed and prayed and cried and demanded a fix.

I ended up posting online about my dilemma and asked a friend where her parents took their car to and she told me. So I immediately took my car and the guy had it 15 min and called me out to the shop area and said ma’am, I know what is wrong with your car and it will take me about 30 min to fix and we don’t even need to order any new parts. He pointed to a valve that was located in the front of the engine and it was completely clogged up with oil sludge. He said all he to do was clean the entire length of the valve out and it would fix it and it DID!!!! He said the clogged oil was what was causing the car to jerk and burn oil at such an alarming rate.

I’m sure there is a more accurate way to describe what was going on and how and why it fixed it and if you need me to find out the exact name of the clogged valve let me know! I will find out!!! I have not had one single problem out of this car since. I pray it helps you. Let me know if I can help!!!

Originally Posted by Jordan Krissinger
I've never had issues with my chevys I've owned, but I purchased a 2014 equinox back in June of 2017 and I've been having issues with it ever since I bought it!!! Very upset. This stabilktrak and reduced power is getting old. We have done everything!! We cant keep putting money into this car!!!!
Originally Posted by Chrisshonda Young
I am having the same problem and my car is a 2016. Did anyone ever find a solution?

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light