Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service StabiliTrak & Engine light on.

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2018, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service StabiliTrak & Engine light on.

i just purchased a 2013 Chevy Equinox with 18k miles. The Service StabiliTrak message came up as well as the engine light. What does this mean? is the vehicle safe to drive?
Old May 4th, 2018, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sandy318
i just purchased a 2013 Chevy Equinox with 18k miles. The Service StabiliTrak message came up as well as the engine light. What does this mean? is the vehicle safe to drive?
In addition, later this evening the Traction Control System light came on. I drove to O'Reilly's and got them to check for engine codes and got P0651. Vehicle killed as I was leaving parking lot. Started and on the way home I was experiencing something like "skipping / jerking or like the engine was hiccuping (if that makes sense). Got home. Tried to restart vehicle as soon as turned of the ignition and it shook really bad while trying to start, but didn't. About 30 minutes later it started right up. I've only had this car 8 days. The warranty expired on the 25th of April. I signed papers on the 26th.
Old May 5th, 2018, 12:22 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

In addition, later this evening the Traction Control System light came on. I drove to O'Reilly's and got them to check for engine codes and got P0651. Vehicle killed as I was leaving parking lot. Started and on the way home I was experiencing something like "skipping / jerking or like the engine was hiccuping (if that makes sense). Got home. Tried to restart vehicle as soon as turned of the ignition and it shook really bad while trying to start, but didn't. About 30 minutes later it started right up. I've only had this car 8 days. The warranty expired on the 25th of April. I signed papers on the 26th.
You should have had O'Reilly check the battery and alternator. Your symptoms have me thinking that either your alternator isn't putting out enough power or your battery is bad. If the factory battery is still installed, it's probably at the end of it's service life. They commonly need to be replaced after only four or five years. Don't forget that even though you're Equinox is a 2013 model, it may have actually been manufactured in 2012.
Old May 8th, 2018, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you ruley73. The next day I started it and didn't have any warning lights on dash and it ran perfectly until today which is 3 days later. I did that little hiccup thing and all three lights came on again. I will have the battery tested this evening.
Old February 14th, 2019, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you ruley73. The next day I started it and didn't have any warning lights on dash and it ran perfectly until today which is 3 days later. I did that little hiccup thing and all three lights came on again. I will have the battery tested this evening.
what was the outcome of having your battery and alternator checked?