Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service StabiliTrak/Reduced Engine Power

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2018, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service StabiliTrak/Reduced Engine Power

I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox, and it recently started shaking extremely bad, then the notes of Service StabiliTrak and Reduced Power to Engine came up. Now, it takes about 5 minutes to accelerate from 0 to 15. When Im able to catch the green lights it can get up to 40 eventually, but if I have to stop and go a lot, it seems to max out at 18ish mph. How can I fix this and is it an expensive fix?

Popular Reply

June 16th, 2021, 12:03 PM
ediththrower
CF Beginner

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

To all persons who have experienced these problems, among others, and have received no satisfaction from Chevrolet or General Motors, I would like to suggest that we initiate a class-action suit. The Ecotech engine is allegedly a great big piece of junk; and has one problem after the other. The StabiliTrak/Reduced Engine Power issue occurs on Chevrolet vehicles with few miles or high miles and Chevrolet appears not to know how to fix the problem and General Motors has not offered a solution to vehicle owners. Offers from Chevrolet to put me into another vehicle come to my email address daily. I don't know about you, but I don't have money to just go out and buy another vehicle; especially in a pandemic. After all of the tax-payer dollars that the Obama, Trump, and Biden administrations have poured into big business over the past 12 years, including the auto industry, one would think the least automakers would do is build Americans a decent vehicle. Not doing so is negligence, and in my humble opinion, a classic example of "fleecing" Americans.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

I have the exact Same problem on my 2015 Equinox i am having it repaired as we speak for $424 Canadian, I have been told it is not covered Under powertrain. Sadly

Adam
Old February 16th, 2018, 10:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ericae824
I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox, and it recently started shaking extremely bad, then the notes of Service StabiliTrak and Reduced Power to Engine came up. Now, it takes about 5 minutes to accelerate from 0 to 15. When Im able to catch the green lights it can get up to 40 eventually, but if I have to stop and go a lot, it seems to max out at 18ish mph. How can I fix this and is it an expensive fix?
i just read it’s the throttle body. Did you get yours fixed?
Old February 17th, 2018, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Me,too,just,today out,of no where

Just got in my vehicle and the same thing happened smells like it's going to blow up got on and search the issue and found this is a common problem and no one has been able to fix the issue between throttles and engine problems and rear end issues sensors O2 sensors no one has been able to fix the issue and it seems GM is just satisfied with letting us all suffer and pay and pay and pay I for one cannot afford to pay and pay and pay and pay this is the first new car I bought in 30 years the warranty a joke this is ridiculous what are we supposed to do go on and search this problem you will see the post from thousands and thousands of people who have been ended up selling the vehicle like trading it in and ending up buying a new vehicle I just bought this vehicle $13,000 it cost me I've got $10. Grand left on it what am I supposed to do GM is just screwing us all royally
Old February 21st, 2019, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same

Same issue on my 2011 . Cleaned throttle body fixed it for a week now car wont start without shaking and getting service stability track and reducing engine power. I bought the car for $15,000. Had it over a year I'm really not happy with GM. Do us all a favor and fix this issue.
The following users liked this post:
Moondad (March 21st, 2024)
Old February 22nd, 2019, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Samantha Benedix
Same issue on my 2011 . Cleaned throttle body fixed it for a week now car wont start without shaking and getting service stability track and reducing engine power. I bought the car for $15,000. Had it over a year I'm really not happy with GM. Do us all a favor and fix this issue.
good luck ive put more money in this pile of plastic crap. Everything breaks on it, the parts are all plastic. After putting 3 grand for a valve job on it, which would have been cheaper to get a new engine, but there arent any available. Big surprise. The car still has rpms around 2.5, slides all over, traction control my butt. Still get the same stability control warning, just stops when it wants and for god sakes dont ever try cleaning the seats or having the car detailed by billion auto anywhere now my seats are disgustingly black and wont come clean. Gm wont fix an issue and just keeps selling these heaps to.people. bottom dollar is all that counts. I loved gm and this car now as soon as i can.dump it i.will and won't ever buy another gm anything as long as i live
Old June 16th, 2021, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

To all persons who have experienced these problems, among others, and have received no satisfaction from Chevrolet or General Motors, I would like to suggest that we initiate a class-action suit. The Ecotech engine is allegedly a great big piece of junk; and has one problem after the other. The StabiliTrak/Reduced Engine Power issue occurs on Chevrolet vehicles with few miles or high miles and Chevrolet appears not to know how to fix the problem and General Motors has not offered a solution to vehicle owners. Offers from Chevrolet to put me into another vehicle come to my email address daily. I don't know about you, but I don't have money to just go out and buy another vehicle; especially in a pandemic. After all of the tax-payer dollars that the Obama, Trump, and Biden administrations have poured into big business over the past 12 years, including the auto industry, one would think the least automakers would do is build Americans a decent vehicle. Not doing so is negligence, and in my humble opinion, a classic example of "fleecing" Americans.

Last edited by ediththrower; June 16th, 2021 at 12:14 PM.
The following 12 users liked this post by ediththrower:
agoudy1124 (April 8th, 2023), berniful3 (July 21st, 2021), chiefsdiva69 (December 30th, 2021), dancieb (February 7th, 2024), drhladik (January 4th, 2022), JordyCole (February 23rd, 2023), Kelly O (January 20th, 2024), MarDee (July 9th, 2021), obsteelr01! (June 30th, 2021), Sbhensley (September 20th, 2022), StanMan70 (April 12th, 2022), TexasRoadrunner (January 15th, 2022) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old July 9th, 2021, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 Chevy Equinox

Having same issues with my equinox bought in nov 2020 already spent $2500 I don’t have money to throw into this vehicle every month it is ridiculous so if someone starts a class action suit I’m so in
The following users liked this post:
Darone (April 3rd, 2023)
Old August 23rd, 2021, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Class-action lawsuit

Originally Posted by MarDee
Having same issues with my equinox bought in nov 2020 already spent $2500 I don’t have money to throw into this vehicle every month it is ridiculous so if someone starts a class action suit I’m so in
I have written to the Gibbs Law Group 800.254.9493 and would advise that you do the same. They have been successful in GM class-action lawsuits in the past. Thank you.

Edith T
The following 2 users liked this post by ediththrower:
dancieb (February 7th, 2024), Sbhensley (September 20th, 2022)
Old December 30th, 2021, 3:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2015 Chevrolet Equinox LS 2.4L Ecotech Flex

I purchased my 2015 Equinox in March 2019, for $13K. I was in love with the space and comfort, compared to other Crossover SUV's. I (now I know it was foolish) purchased a warranty from the dealership adding another $3555.00 to finance. I've always known how to take care of my vehicles, as my daddy was a Master Technician for more than 50 years and one of the first to diagnose engine issues with the SUN machine. My engine was burning oil, so I had it checked thoroughly for leaks, which there were none. One brutally cold morning (-15) I was on I-29 South outside of Platte City, MO around 6:15 AM. My vehicle lost all power and went black. Thankfully I made it onto the shoulder safely. My rear main seal blew. My warranty company denied my claim as their dishonest adjuster didn't look at my engine and cited "PVC FAILURE" because he's worked on cars over 20 years and knows what causes the rear main seal to blow. The shop manager pulled the engine during replacement and the PVC WAS NOT PLUGGED. There was plenty of oil in my engine as well, as it was blown out everywhere and ruined my starter. I also had a near empty gallon of Full Synthetic oil and a full gallon of Full Synthetic in my vehicle. So, the shop knew that I had been taking care of my vehicle. I was advised that "GM" knows the rings (top of pistons) need replacement, but instead of a recall, they put out a "service bulletin." You and I are supposed to know this and go to a Chevy dealership to tell them that we are burning oil. They decide if they should monitor oil consumption, by having you come back often over a period of time to see how much oil we are burning. IF they decide your Equinox is burning too much oil, they will replace the rings. OUCH, I had to cough up over $4500 for an engine. Fast forward to today. My 2nd engine DOES NOT have high oil consumption. However, it DOES have the TIMING CHAIN/TENSIONER issue. Guess what? Yes, you're right, I now need another engine. These engines are interference engines. I also am dealing with the Stabillitrack/Reduced Engine Power/ High Carbon emissions BS! THESE ENGINES ARE COMPLETE TRASH!!! I'm an AMERICAN that LOVES to BUY AMERICAN, but GM has cost me a fortune! I have retained an attorney and I am pursuing this dealership whom also owns CARVANA and their WARRANTY company SILVER ROCK!! DO NOT BUY ANY EQUINOX BETWEEN 2013-2017, but SPECIFICALLY THE 2015. THE 2015 IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST OF THESE YEARS!! I wish I had RESEARCHED more before purchase. I really DON'T want another GM product after this. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE. P.S. I've now spent over $15K in repairs/maintenance in under 3 years. More than every vehicle I've owned put together, prior to this AWFUL investment. GOODBYE GOVERNMENT MOTORS, AKA GM.

Quick Reply: Service StabiliTrak/Reduced Engine Power