Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...

Old July 9th, 2012, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...

I have a 08 Equinox with 79000 miles on it, for the last few weeks or so I've been having the service traction control/ service stabilitrak light come on.. Normally it comes on after i drive for a few minutes other times it'll be several miles after I drive it... Last week my check engine light came on, i took it to auto zone for them to read the code and they told me it wasn't getting enough oxygen and that it was likely bad gas and to buy a fuel system cleaner.. I did that it cleared the check engine light for about a week and i don't think i saw the TC or Stabilitrak message either. Then Saturday both the TC and Stabilitrak message were back on along with the check engine light, i haven't taken it to get the code read again yet... Car seems to be driving fine no issues other than it not having much traction when your pushing the gas....

Any ideas as to what this could be? I've searched and searched and it seems that its a common problem with the equniox and tons and tons of different solutions.... Car is still covered under the powertrain warranty but i have to pay 75 for the the diagnostic test... Just trying to seem if it would be something thats covered or not...
The following users liked this post:
Abby S. (May 3rd, 2020)
Old July 9th, 2012, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Just wanted to add an update for anyone having the same issue.. we took it by auto zone again and it was reading the same thing, We needed an ERG valve it was stuck open, which is not covered by powertran warranty! Got home this afternoon and took it out and cleaned it and it was sure enough stuck open! Put it back in, reset the codes and i drove it about 2-3 miles and it seems to be fixed! Hopefully!!
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:30 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

You'll need to drive it a lot more to see if the EGR valve is fixed. I tried to clean the EGR valve in ours, but I ended up replacing it because the SES light returned after driving it a while. A new EGR valve and gasket (AC-Delco p/n 214-2098 + Felpro p/n 70804) is only about $75 shipped from RockAuto. I replaced it almost 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since. Replacing the EGR valve also stopped the SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL and SERVICE STABILITRAK warnings from coming on.
Old August 31st, 2012, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having the same problem, beyond frustrated

I bought my 2007 Equinox used from a Chevy Dealership in June (2 months ago.) After just a couple of weeks, this service stabilitrack light started coming on intermittently. The car drove fine, so I let it go. Then this weekend, the check engine light also came on, and I ended up spending 3 grueling hours in a Chicago traffic jam praying that I wasn't about to get stranded because the car was running so horribly by this point.

Monday, I took the vehicle back to the dealership thinking they could help me out considering I JUST BOUGHT the car from them. Nothing. They charged me over $90 just to look at it. I ended up having the EGR valve replaced (cost me $400 by the way,) and the vehicle seemed to be good to go.

This morning, just 3 days after getting the vehicle back, the service stabilitrack light came on again. So apparently they didn't fix it after all. I'm wondering, is there even anything wrong with the car? Is the dealership just trying to bleed me dry? Do I need to take it back to the shop or just ignore it as long as it seems to be running ok? I already emptied my savings account to buy this POS to begin with. I don't have any $$ left to keep making unnecessary repairs.

By the way, I am so not buying a car from Ernie von Schledorn ever again!
Old September 3rd, 2012, 1:52 PM
CF Junior Member

The service stabilitrack, and service traction control light comes on whenever the engine throws a code, or ABS system throws a code to my understanding. atleast whenever a module is in any way related to the vehicle possibly mis reporting engine conditions so it can make wise (computer) decisions as to how to correct the traction.

So one would see the traction control, and stabilitrack service lights any time you have a code related to the above mentioned. So the traction/stabilitrack light is not a diagnosis in any way, its almost exclusively a symptom of another problem that means you need to check your codes.

If your check engine light comes on, your lucky, because now you can read a code with a simple code reader that you can follow that will probably lead to a proper diagnosis.

If you dont see a check engine light, then now you need to go the dealer because they can read codes above and beyond with their almighty expensive equipment.

The code must be noted, and that will lead to why the traction/stabilitrack lights are on.

get this code, and post it here. thats the best way anyone can help normally.

as far as the EGR, i had a code for this when my stabilitrack.traction light would not go off, https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equ...circuit-42161/ and was able to solve my problem entirely much the same as JBINKLEY06 it appears.

You will find that any car has its problems. The beauty in modern technology is we have diagnostic lights to give us early warnings, and computers that give codes to follow. the caveat is it leads to confusion at times. :-)
Old September 5th, 2012, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

I did end up completely replacing the EGR valve, cleaning it only helped for a few days and all the warning lights would come back on. Very easy to replace and only costed me $60 bucks. Have drove it since and no service lights or check engine lights have came back on luckily!
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

My 07 Chevy equinox has had the service traction control service stabilitrak lights on for the last ~2000mi. The check engine light was on as well, but I got the codes read and put a new EGR valve and sensor (saw on here that was probably it then got the codes read). This all done yesterday. Last night I drove the car approximately 20mi and the service traction control and service stabilitrak lights came back on. The check engine light stayed off. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what this might be? Thank you!
Old July 27th, 2013, 6:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by drg799802
My 07 Chevy equinox has had the service traction control service stabilitrak lights on for the last ~2000mi. The check engine light was on as well, but I got the codes read and put a new EGR valve and sensor (saw on here that was probably it then got the codes read). This all done yesterday. Last night I drove the car approximately 20mi and the service traction control and service stabilitrak lights came back on. The check engine light stayed off. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what this might be? Thank you!
Most likely one of the wheel speed sensors is bad or the wiring going to one of them is bad. A visual inspection of the wiring and using a scan tool that can read ABS codes are the only ways to properly diagnose the problem.
Old July 29th, 2013, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the response. Lights seem to just come on when driving on bumpy roads. Of course to reset I have to shut it off for several minutes, drive a ways, and shut it off again.
Old July 29th, 2013, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Not sure if this has to do with it but the LR tire pressure monitor system blanks out (--) once in awhile as well. Usually only a short period then comes back on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...