Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2015, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an '09 Equinox LT AWD and had the "Service Stabilitrak" light come on a couple of months ago, but nothing else. Then I started to get the reduced power, but still no engine light. I quickly figured that all the vehicle was doing was running under reduced power. The next day all was back to normal, so I figured it was just a sensor going out. It would do it occasionally and then go back to normal if I turned the vehicle off and back on. Then the engine light came on and I plugged in my code reader I had purchased on Amazon for $22. The code showed a "P2135 $07E8 Generic Throttle/Pedal/Position Sensor/Switch A/B Voltage Correlation". I had done some research and found that this may have to do with the EGR Valve, or a sticky throttle body butterfly flap.

So I replaced the EGR Valve (very easy to do) and cleaned the throttle body and everything was fine for a week. Then all the warnings came back on again. So, this time, I ordered a new AC Delco TPS (without the throttle body). This is easier said than done, as I called shop after shop after shop until I found one that said they could order just the sensor. I popped the old one off and attempted to put the new one on. I couldn't get the clips on to secure the new sensor. No matter what I tried it wouldn't work. I managed to get 4 of the 6 clips on but saw that the new sensor didn't sit flush to the throttle body. I tried the ignition and, while it did start, it wouldn't stay running. Upon a 3rd and 4th ignition try, the engine wouldn't even turn over. However, one thing I noticed on the old sensor was that one of the connectors for the connecting prongs from the throttle body was loose. Loose enough to fall off when I removed the sensor. I took a golf tee and pushed each connector back into the TPS, put it back on the throttle body and secured 6 brand new clips. That was two weeks ago and I've not had a single problem since. Before I started getting the warning light I noticed the occasional throttle-lag. I've not noticed any lag since I "fixed" the problem.

So, the money I'm out is $133 for the EGR Valve and $22 for the code reader. Time will tell if this issue is fixed, but for the time being, everything looks good.
Old March 31st, 2015, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Traded in my equinox. Hope you all figure out your issues with your vehicle. Good luck!
Old March 31st, 2015, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Well, yesterday the problem came back just as it was before. This eve I'll take the sensor off and check the posts to see if it is loose again. Maybe I'll put a dab of glue on it to keep it in place. I'm not convinced the sensor needs replacing. I do think it's a substandard part that Chevy is using, and I think they need to address the issue, as it appears to be a very common problem. I'm just not sure if Chevy cares.

The agency I work for has purchased Ford Explorers for their fleet. While the Police Intercepter has its issues, the non-law enforcement versions seem (at this point) to have very few problems. This problem with my Equinox, and the history I've found, has me re-thinking whether I'd purchase another similar vehicle from Chevy.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:21 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

In our case, the SS/STC messages and the check engine light were on before replacing the EGR valve in February 2011 at about 61k miles. After replacing the EGR valve (installed a new AC Delco part), the messages seemed to go away.

However, shortly afterwards I discovered I could replicate this same issue in the manner described below; EXCEPT that the check engine light would not come on.

If I floor the gas to downshift at about 55-60 MPH and don't let up, at about 90 MPH the Service Stabilitrak/Service Traction Control warnings (no check engine light) will appear just before the transmission shifts into fourth gear. The transmission upshifts harder while the message are on. It is not much harder, but definitely harder than normal. However, after parking and letting the vehicle sit for a few hours, the messages disappear and the transmission shifts fine until the messages are invoked again.

By this time the vehicle was out of the 50k mile extended warranty, I didn't think the 5yr/100k mile Powertrain warranty would cover this issue, and I had to exceed the speed limit by a wide margin to replicate it so I never brought it to the dealership so it could be addressed. Within the first couple months we bought it in October 2008 the SS/STCS warnings were appearing so they replaced either the BCM or the EBCM under warranty. I think it was the BCM, but I can't remember which one for sure though.

The only other time the warnings have appeared is during really long trips after driving for 100+ miles with the cruise set at 75 MPH (5 MPH above posted limit - the norm for around here). Three of the four wheel hubs & ABS sensors have been replaced (due to worn bearings). I recently cleaned the throttlebody, MAF sensor, and EGR valve. I can still invoke the warnings like I said before, but the wife just took it on a six hour trip and didn't have a problem.

I stopped by AutoZone and borrowed their scan tool on a couple different occasions with the messages still on (check engine light was not on). In both cases, the trouble codes I got were:

C0561 (confirmed DTC) - indicates that there are no problems in the ABS/TCS system; only that Stabiltrak is disabled

P0404 (pending DTC) - EGR valve is not opening or closing in accordance with engine computer (ECM) requests

P1779 (pending DTC) - I found a few slightly different interpretations/definitions of this code when researching it. This is going to get complex, but follow along....The definition that actually makes the most sense to me for the Equinox is "Engine Torque Delivered to TCM Signal" in conjunction with "the TCM will default driver requested torque data to 300 N m/221 lb ft." My interpretation is that the ECM is telling the TCM "the engine is currently producing X amount of torque", but the TCM is saying to the ECM "the data I am receiving from my own sources proves the engine can't be producing X amount torque. Since I can't trust what you're telling me, I will assume that the engine is always producing full output [300 N m/221 lb ft torque]. This will ensure that I can still meet your needs by shifting gears when I need to, but the shifts won't be as smooth as they normally are."

No, the ECM doesn't have a built-in dynamometer. It is using a programmed algorithm which takes into account information gathered from various sensors to calculate an estimated output value to communicate to the TCM so the TCM can make the transmission shift smoothly. The 3.4L engine produces about 210 lb ft of torque, so I believe the elevated figure of 221 lb ft of torque was probably chosen just to play it safe.

So, the order of events is most likely...
1) a malfunctioning EGR valve triggers P0404 which...
2) causes the ECM to send incorrect torque values to the TCM; thus triggering P1779; then...
3)the computer that controls Stabilitrak disables it because it determines that the previously detected faults (P0404 and P1779) may cause Stabilitrak to not function properly; thus triggering C0561

Even with the messages on, I've confirmed that only Stabilitrak is disabled like the DTC says. The Traction Control and ABS features remain fully functional. I'm hardly worried about Stabilitrak being disabled. I'm a lot more annoyed by the warning messages than I am worried about Stabilitrak not working. I've only been able to get Stabilitrak to engage on dry pavement once in the seven years (almost 100k miles) we've owned it anyways. Even then, it was in a large, vacant parking lot with a lot of effort. It has neverengaged when driving it down the road. I'm not trying to downplay Stabilitrak's effectiveness. I'm just saying it is really hard to get it to engage.

I hope my explanation makes sense to others and helps people understand what's probably happening. The only part that doesn't add up to me is why the P0404 and P1779 codes are pending and not confirmed.
I wonder if there may be an updated ECM or TCM calibration that we don't know about which might correct this issue.

Additional input/feedback from experts or techs would be welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited by ruley73; April 27th, 2015 at 11:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MitchM (May 17th, 2022)
Old April 4th, 2015, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
In our case, the SS/STC messages and the check engine light were on before replacing the EGR valve in February 2011 at about 61k miles. After replacing the EGR valve (used AC Delco part), the messages seemed to go away.

However, shortly afterwards I discovered I could replicate this same issue in the manner described below; EXCEPT that the check engine light would not come on.

If I floor the gas to downshift at about 55-60 MPH and don't let up, at about 90 MPH the Service Stabilitrak/Service Traction Control warnings (no check engine light) will appear just before the transmission shifts into fourth gear. The transmission upshifts harder while the message are on. It is not much harder, but definitely harder than normal. However, after parking and letting the vehicle sit for a few hours, the messages disappear and the transmission shifts fine until the messages are invoked again.

By this time the vehicle was out of the 50k mile extended warranty, I didn't think the 5yr/100k mile Powertrain warranty would cover this issue, and I had to exceed the speed limit by a wide margin to replicate it so I never brought it to the dealership so it could be addressed. Within the first couple months we bought it in October 2008 the SS/STCS warnings were appearing so they replaced either the BCM or the EBCM under warranty. I think it was the BCM, but I can't remember which one for sure though.

The only other time the warnings have appeared is during really long trips after driving for 100+ miles with the cruise set at 75 MPH (5 MPH above posted limit - the norm for around here). Three of the four wheel hubs & ABS sensors have been replaced (due to worn bearings). I recently cleaned the throttlebody, MAF sensor, and EGR valve. I can still invoke the warnings like I said before, but the wife just took it on a six hour trip and didn't have a problem.

I stopped by AutoZone and borrowed their scan tool on a couple different occasions with the messages still on (check engine light was not on). In both cases, the trouble codes I got were:

C0561 (confirmed DTC) - indicates that there are no problems in the ABS/TCS system; only that Stabiltrak is disabled

P0404 (pending DTC) - EGR valve is not opening or closing in accordance with engine computer (ECM) requests

P1779 (pending DTC) - I found a few slightly different interpretations/definitions of this code when researching it. This is going to get complex, but follow along....The definition that actually makes the most sense to me for the Equinox is "Engine Torque Delivered to TCM Signal" in conjunction with "the TCM will default driver requested torque data to 300 N m/221 lb ft." My interpretation is that the ECM is telling the TCM "the engine is currently producing X amount of torque", but the TCM is saying to the ECM "the data I am receiving from my own sources proves the engine can't be producing X amount torque. Since I can't trust what you're telling me, I will assume that the engine is always producing full output [300 N m/221 lb ft torque]. This will ensure that I can still meet your needs by shifting gears when I need to, but the shifts won't be as smooth as they normally are."

No, the ECM doesn't have a built-in dynamometer. It is using a programmed algorithm which takes into account information gathered from various sensors to calculate an estimated output value to communicate to the TCM so the TCM can make the transmission shift smoothly. The 3.4L engine produces about 210 lb ft of torque, so I believe the elevated figure of 221 lb ft of torque was probably chosen just to play it safe.

So, the order of events is most likely...
1) a malfunctioning EGR valve triggers P0404 which...
2) causes the ECM to send incorrect torque values to the TCM; thus triggering P1779; then...
3)the computer that controls Stabilitrak disables it because it determines that the previously detected faults (P0404 and P1779) may cause Stabilitrak to not function properly; thus triggering C0561

Even with the messages on, I've confirmed that only Stabilitrak is disabled like the DTC says. The Traction Control and ABS features remain fully functional. I'm hardly worried about Stabilitrak being disabled. I'm a lot more annoyed by the warning messages than I am worried about Stabilitrak not working. I've only been able to get Stabilitrak to engage on dry pavement once in the seven years (almost 100k miles) we've owned it anyways. Even then, it was in a large, vacant parking lot with a lot of effort. It has neverengaged when driving it down the road. I'm not trying to downplay Stabilitrak's effectiveness. I'm just saying it is really hard to get it to engage.

I hope my explanation makes sense to others and helps people understand what's probably happening. The only part that doesn't add up to me is why the P0404 and P1779 codes are pending and not confirmed.
I wonder if there may be an updated ECM or TCM calibration that we don't know about which might correct this issue.

Additional input/feedback from experts or techs would be welcomed and appreciated.
That's what mine was doing. New ac Delco egr valve fixed it. Traded it in a week ago though. Good luck everyone!
Old April 9th, 2015, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Post same problems

I have been having this happen for a while now and I notice that when I fill up my truck it goes out but the next time I start it it comes back on...This is so aggravating and when I go to Auto Zone nothing shows. I am going to try the egr valve.
Originally Posted by wolfdogg
The service stabilitrack, and service traction control light comes on whenever the engine throws a code, or ABS system throws a code to my understanding. atleast whenever a module is in any way related to the vehicle possibly mis reporting engine conditions so it can make wise (computer) decisions as to how to correct the traction.

So one would see the traction control, and stabilitrack service lights any time you have a code related to the above mentioned. So the traction/stabilitrack light is not a diagnosis in any way, its almost exclusively a symptom of another problem that means you need to check your codes.

If your check engine light comes on, your lucky, because now you can read a code with a simple code reader that you can follow that will probably lead to a proper diagnosis.

If you dont see a check engine light, then now you need to go the dealer because they can read codes above and beyond with their almighty expensive equipment.

The code must be noted, and that will lead to why the traction/stabilitrack lights are on.

get this code, and post it here. thats the best way anyone can help normally.

as far as the EGR, i had a code for this when my stabilitrack.traction light would not go off, https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equ...circuit-42161/ and was able to solve my problem entirely much the same as JBINKLEY06 it appears.

You will find that any car has its problems. The beauty in modern technology is we have diagnostic lights to give us early warnings, and computers that give codes to follow. the caveat is it leads to confusion at times. :-)
Old August 13th, 2015, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default What's the problem

I just bought a 07 equinox and the day after I got it it says service stabilitrak also traction control lights on also with the ABS light...never had a car that had all this tech anyone got any suggestions to what is the problem
Old August 14th, 2015, 7:16 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Miguel Torres
I just bought a 07 equinox and the day after I got it it says service stabilitrak also traction control lights on also with the ABS light...never had a car that had all this tech anyone got any suggestions to what is the problem
The ABS light indicates an ABS fault. The traction control and Stabilitrak rely on ABS components so that is why they are also disabled. You'll need to get the vehicle scanned for codes to see why the ABS light is coming on. Most cheap code scanners only check for powertrain codes so you'll need to use a more advanced scanner to retrieve ABS codes. You most likely have a bad wheel speed sensor (which can be replaced separately from the wheel bearing/hub), but it could be something else. Don't replace any parts without getting those codes and inspecting the wiring & connectors at each wheel hub.
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

I have the same lights going on with this Nox
check engine and stabilitrak

It can't be that hard to replace the EGR right since I already REPLACE THE HEAD GASKET ON THIS SUV at 70,000 miles. yep.. 70,000 miles and blew head gasket. Blowing a big old cloud of smelling white smoke out of the tail pipe. Cheap China engine and head gaskets. Took about 15 hours to do the job .Oh and yes don't forget the fuel pump and wheelhub/bearings that aren't worth anything. Yep electrical problems also like the dash lights and radio go out for weeks and then when the sun and moon are at 47.5 degree angles the radio comes back on and works just fine(humor). I wonder if this vehicle has a bad ignition switch-like the millions that chevy denied having problems but it has led to the death of a reported 124 people. I would sell the Nox but it's paid for and cheap transportation. I would never take this vehicle for a road trip though. Don't trust it.

Anyone looking to buy this vehicle or anything from GM/Chevy/Cadilac etc. you get my point

RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN

Kia and Hyundai make a better vehicle and I don't even own one

Hey GM Customer service send me a EGR valve for free why don't you for all the headaches!!
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

Also..there was a recall on fuel pumps up to 2007.
Lady at the dealership for the "special notes" stating a 2008 is covered as long as you live in a hot state like Arizona, Texas and a few other states.
So they know there is an issue with the gaskets with the fuel pumps but will only replace them if you live in a hot state. Yep ours was leaking fuel like there was no tomorrow. Smelt like a friggin gas can with the lid off. Surprised it didn't start on fire from the hot exhaust.

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...