Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Equinox (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/)
-   -   Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light... (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/service-stabilitrak-traction-control-lights-alone-check-engine-light-51757/)

JBINKLEY06 July 9th, 2012 1:30 PM

Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, alone with check engine light...

I have a 08 Equinox with 79000 miles on it, for the last few weeks or so I've been having the service traction control/ service stabilitrak light come on.. Normally it comes on after i drive for a few minutes other times it'll be several miles after I drive it... Last week my check engine light came on, i took it to auto zone for them to read the code and they told me it wasn't getting enough oxygen and that it was likely bad gas and to buy a fuel system cleaner.. I did that it cleared the check engine light for about a week and i don't think i saw the TC or Stabilitrak message either. Then Saturday both the TC and Stabilitrak message were back on along with the check engine light, i haven't taken it to get the code read again yet... Car seems to be driving fine no issues other than it not having much traction when your pushing the gas....

Any ideas as to what this could be? I've searched and searched and it seems that its a common problem with the equniox and tons and tons of different solutions.... Car is still covered under the powertrain warranty but i have to pay 75 for the the diagnostic test... Just trying to seem if it would be something thats covered or not...

JBINKLEY06 July 9th, 2012 9:34 PM

Just wanted to add an update for anyone having the same issue.. we took it by auto zone again and it was reading the same thing, We needed an ERG valve it was stuck open, which is not covered by powertran warranty! Got home this afternoon and took it out and cleaned it and it was sure enough stuck open! Put it back in, reset the codes and i drove it about 2-3 miles and it seems to be fixed! Hopefully!!

ruley73 July 9th, 2012 11:30 PM

You'll need to drive it a lot more to see if the EGR valve is fixed. I tried to clean the EGR valve in ours, but I ended up replacing it because the SES light returned after driving it a while. A new EGR valve and gasket (AC-Delco p/n 214-2098 + Felpro p/n 70804) is only about $75 shipped from RockAuto. I replaced it almost 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since. Replacing the EGR valve also stopped the SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL and SERVICE STABILITRAK warnings from coming on.

missmandy August 31st, 2012 1:33 PM

Having the same problem, beyond frustrated

I bought my 2007 Equinox used from a Chevy Dealership in June (2 months ago.) After just a couple of weeks, this service stabilitrack light started coming on intermittently. The car drove fine, so I let it go. Then this weekend, the check engine light also came on, and I ended up spending 3 grueling hours in a Chicago traffic jam praying that I wasn't about to get stranded because the car was running so horribly by this point.

Monday, I took the vehicle back to the dealership thinking they could help me out considering I JUST BOUGHT the car from them. Nothing. They charged me over $90 just to look at it. I ended up having the EGR valve replaced (cost me $400 by the way,) and the vehicle seemed to be good to go.

This morning, just 3 days after getting the vehicle back, the service stabilitrack light came on again. So apparently they didn't fix it after all. I'm wondering, is there even anything wrong with the car? Is the dealership just trying to bleed me dry? Do I need to take it back to the shop or just ignore it as long as it seems to be running ok? I already emptied my savings account to buy this POS to begin with. I don't have any $$ left to keep making unnecessary repairs.

By the way, I am so not buying a car from Ernie von Schledorn ever again!

wolfdogg September 3rd, 2012 1:52 PM

The service stabilitrack, and service traction control light comes on whenever the engine throws a code, or ABS system throws a code to my understanding. atleast whenever a module is in any way related to the vehicle possibly mis reporting engine conditions so it can make wise (computer) decisions as to how to correct the traction.

So one would see the traction control, and stabilitrack service lights any time you have a code related to the above mentioned. So the traction/stabilitrack light is not a diagnosis in any way, its almost exclusively a symptom of another problem that means you need to check your codes.

If your check engine light comes on, your lucky, because now you can read a code with a simple code reader that you can follow that will probably lead to a proper diagnosis.

If you dont see a check engine light, then now you need to go the dealer because they can read codes above and beyond with their almighty expensive equipment.

The code must be noted, and that will lead to why the traction/stabilitrack lights are on.

get this code, and post it here. thats the best way anyone can help normally.

as far as the EGR, i had a code for this when my stabilitrack.traction light would not go off, https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equ...circuit-42161/ and was able to solve my problem entirely much the same as JBINKLEY06 it appears.

You will find that any car has its problems. The beauty in modern technology is we have diagnostic lights to give us early warnings, and computers that give codes to follow. the caveat is it leads to confusion at times. :-)

JBINKLEY06 September 5th, 2012 9:03 AM

I did end up completely replacing the EGR valve, cleaning it only helped for a few days and all the warning lights would come back on. Very easy to replace and only costed me $60 bucks. Have drove it since and no service lights or check engine lights have came back on luckily!

drg799802 July 27th, 2013 10:27 AM

My 07 Chevy equinox has had the service traction control service stabilitrak lights on for the last ~2000mi. The check engine light was on as well, but I got the codes read and put a new EGR valve and sensor (saw on here that was probably it then got the codes read). This all done yesterday. Last night I drove the car approximately 20mi and the service traction control and service stabilitrak lights came back on. The check engine light stayed off. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what this might be? Thank you!

ruley73 July 27th, 2013 6:40 PM

Originally Posted by drg799802 (Post 253177)
My 07 Chevy equinox has had the service traction control service stabilitrak lights on for the last ~2000mi. The check engine light was on as well, but I got the codes read and put a new EGR valve and sensor (saw on here that was probably it then got the codes read). This all done yesterday. Last night I drove the car approximately 20mi and the service traction control and service stabilitrak lights came back on. The check engine light stayed off. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what this might be? Thank you!

Most likely one of the wheel speed sensors is bad or the wiring going to one of them is bad. A visual inspection of the wiring and using a scan tool that can read ABS codes are the only ways to properly diagnose the problem.

drg799802 July 29th, 2013 1:15 PM

Thank you for the response. Lights seem to just come on when driving on bumpy roads. Of course to reset I have to shut it off for several minutes, drive a ways, and shut it off again.

drg799802 July 29th, 2013 1:18 PM

Not sure if this has to do with it but the LR tire pressure monitor system blanks out (--) once in awhile as well. Usually only a short period then comes back on.

dahbee October 7th, 2013 1:20 AM

I have a 2008 Equinox I bought used 2 years ago. The stablitrak light came on without any check engine light. At the same time the car would not let me shut the ignition off completely and the key would not come out. It was a Friday night and my mechanic is not available until Monday. The battery finally died since the dashboard remained on with the key in the ignition. I have never even heard of this problem. My passenger seatbelt connector was just replaced last week. Could this be related? Why won't it let go of the key?

ruley73 October 7th, 2013 9:53 AM

Originally Posted by dahbee (Post 258497)
I have a 2008 Equinox I bought used 2 years ago. The stablitrak light came on without any check engine light. At the same time the car would not let me shut the ignition off completely and the key would not come out. It was a Friday night and my mechanic is not available until Monday. The battery finally died since the dashboard remained on with the key in the ignition. I have never even heard of this problem. My passenger seatbelt connector was just replaced last week. Could this be related? Why won't it let go of the key?

You should have been able to turn the ignition to the ACC position. If you turned all your accessories off (lights, radio, wipers, etc.) with the key in this position, the battery should not have died that quick. If it did it was probably due for replacement anyways.

After you get your new battery (or the old one recharged), make sure the shifter is fully placed in the Park position. If the factory battery has not yet been replaced I would strongly suggest getting a new battery since the factory battery will not last much longer anyways.

Your passenger seatbelt connector and related circuits would not affect the operation of the ignition key.

Joshua Pease October 26th, 2013 6:08 AM

Originally Posted by dahbee (Post 258497)

I had this issue also after i bought mine. i took it to the dealership during the free oil change. they stated that i needed a new power steering unit and a new shifter( shifter is the reason the key would not be allowed to be removed) but of course the dealership wants me to pay 4 grand since non of it is covered under the warranty

jtho53 October 26th, 2013 8:55 AM

Shifter linkage can be adjusted to accommodate the shifter going into park. If it happens again, try slamming the shifter into park and that should release the key.
Have you run codes? If so list them here or research them online to find out what the problem is.
Sounds like the dealer wants to make some fast cash.
John

Chevrolet Customer Service October 26th, 2013 10:19 AM

dahbee,

Have you been able to have this concern resolved?

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

milehighmark October 26th, 2013 11:22 AM

they engine an stabilitrac came on in my avalanche my mechanic checked it out, all it was was a vacuum leak

Joshua Pease October 26th, 2013 5:47 PM

Originally Posted by jtho53 (Post 259838)
Shifter linkage can be adjusted to accommodate the shifter going into park. If it happens again, try slamming the shifter into park and that should release the key.
Have you run codes? If so list them here or research them online to find out what the problem is.
Sounds like the dealer wants to make some fast cash.
John

No codes came about from it and I have tried slamming it in park and it didn't help. The problem with the shifter is the button not extending fully. So instead of spending money on it, all i do is listen while i push the button til the clicking sounds right and the key will rotate and be able to removed. The shifter and the power steering are both not covered under the warranty

wolfdogg October 31st, 2013 1:12 AM

Originally Posted by ruley73
Most likely one of the wheel speed sensors is bad or the wiring going to one of them is bad. A visual inspection of the wiring and using a scan tool that can read ABS codes are the only ways to properly diagnose the problem.

this is assuming a temporary code isnt sitting in the ecm. make sure and check your codes again on the ecm and engine modules if you have a code reader. I always hear about the wheel sensor diagnosis, but i dont know how much merit is to it. But i guess somebody somewhere had a problem with it because that suggestion is always coming up. in my experience the traction control has only been related to codes in the ecm, one for the erg, and another for the steering sensor possibly. that was the dealer that stated the steering sensor but since i didnt have a tester at the time, and the problem came back after they replaced or tinkered with it, i cant tell you if they were being honest with me or not. Personally i think it was the EGR since it came bak again and again until i bought a tester myself and found that it was the EGR sensor (pintile switch inside)

wolfdogg October 31st, 2013 1:15 AM

Originally Posted by Joshua Pease (Post 259874)
No codes came about from it and I have tried slamming it in park and it didn't help. The problem with the shifter is the button not extending fully. So instead of spending money on it, all i do is listen while i push the button til the clicking sounds right and the key will rotate and be able to removed. The shifter and the power steering are both not covered under the warranty

Just dont slam it in park while the car is moving at all or you will break your parking pin in the tranny possibly.

have you tried yanking the steering wheel back and forth in teh lock position while trying to remove your key? that usually does it in most cars. i think i had that problem in the equinox before.

wolfdogg October 31st, 2013 1:17 AM

Originally Posted by milehighmark (Post 259848)
they engine an stabilitrac came on in my avalanche my mechanic checked it out, all it was was a vacuum leak

were you able to pull an ecm code for that vacuum leak or anything for that mtter, or was the computer clean, and just gettting your vacuum back fixed it? that would be scary. if so, then that means the traction control light is just a diagnosis light in the end....... :confused:

milehighmark October 31st, 2013 6:42 AM

Originally it threw a code regarding the catlytic converter,replaced it all was good for a week then it threw codes running lean on left bank. cleared them a couple times, every time the check engine light came on it was always preceded by the service stabilitrac light, anyway my mechanic checked it again said it was a vacuum leak, fixed and all is good now for past 3 weeks

wolfdogg November 3rd, 2013 3:36 AM

ok if thats the case, and theres no codes now, then there may be a pending code, and that MAY be why the traction control light is on. I dont believe a pending code would show on the dash Service light, but it may be setting off the traction control light.

The only way to know this is to have a tester than can read pending codes. i got one at harbor freight, but i would think twice about buying one there (see this post to find out why Cen-Tech 98614 help : OBD-Codes.com) , even though it does the job well. I would get one from sears next time.

good luck!

nukstr December 19th, 2013 10:20 PM

FINALLY FIXED, "SERVICE STABILITRAK & TRACTION CONTROL"
DIAGNOSTIC PROBLEM:
"SERVICE STABILITRAK",
"SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL",
"HARD SHIFT 1-2 GEARS"-(STABILITRAK TURNING OFF-CLUNK NOISE)
"STABILITRAK OFF",
"TRACTION CONTROL OFF"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAUSE:
FUEL WAS 45% ETHANOL @ 85-(COSTCO GAS)-COMPUTER WENT INTO LIMP MODE CAUSING (AFM) TO GET STUCK AND NOT RESET COMPUTER.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOLUTION:
DRAINED & CLEANED GAS TANK-
CHANGED FUEL FILTERS (*ONLY IF NEEDED)
CLEANED INJECTORS-
RESET COMPUTER-
FILLED GAS TANK WITH NO ETHANOL- (Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada)
TOTAL AMOUNT WITH TAX: $444.86

REFERENCES
(STABILITRAK CLUNK NOISE): https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...uestion-47580/
(AFM)-Definition: Active Fuel Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(ETHANOL): Common ethanol fuel mixtures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(GAS STATIONS WITHOUT ETHANOL): Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

firemanbill44 April 3rd, 2014 9:58 PM

Today I had the same problem with the Service Stabilitrak, Traction Control lights ON, along with check engine light. The engine went into a slow mode and would only drive about 25mph.

Chevrolet Customer Service April 5th, 2014 7:28 PM

Hi firemanbill44,

We're sorry to hear that you also had this concern. Please let us know if you would like for us to look further into this for you. We can be reached via private message if needed. In the message please reference your concern. We look forward to hear form you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Slovakgal June 17th, 2014 3:43 PM

Tabilitrak issues

I had some of the same issues with the message (Stabilitrak OFF) displaying at really odd times (backing into the garage, starting from a stopped position, just starting the engine) and I could not replicate the issue. So, I basically ignored it thinking the "check engine light" would eventually come on and I would take it in for service. Well, one day I started moving from a stopped position at a red light and everything on my dashboard blinked on at the same time......stabilitrak, check engine, and a bunch of other stuff that I couldn't read fast enough because the engine stopped.....in the middle of the street. I was done. It would not restart. So, as I was just sitting there in the middle of the intersection trying to find the AAA number. When AAA showed up, the tow truck drive said he could fix it fast. "just turn the key on and off 17 times and the check engine light will go off and you can start the engine." My question; did that fix the engine problem.....answer "no, it just starts the engine and you can drive it!" ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? I drove to the dealer the next day and they had an AWFUL time trying to diagnose the problem....because the 17 switches of the key reset the computer. again, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Well, four hours later the mechanics were able to recreate the issue and found that the computer failed. It was replaced at no charge (seems that there is a 70,000 mile? warranty). THANK GOODNESS. Lesson learned....no AAA diagnosis and fix; just make them tow to the dealer.

cknuth24 August 23rd, 2014 7:05 PM

I have a 2008 Chevy Equinox and the brakes lock up the dash says stablelink off and service traction control

denelsonfly August 27th, 2014 10:09 AM

Driving at 60 and dash lights up..service stabiltrak, abs light, traction control lights and all wheel drives.Drove to dealer and checked codes. Seems the hub was bad and piece cracked off. Most likely a MN pothole earlier in the year. Replaced hub and all is well. Jerking was from right side trying to get traction while left not reading so computer turned off systems dealing with stabilitrak, all wheel etc. Works great again.

Btompkins26 September 12th, 2014 1:40 PM

I have the same year equinox having the same issue, the traction control light comes on followed by the check engine, seems to be a typical issue with this "stabiltrak" in the Chevys as I've seen the avalanches and Tahoes having the issue on other threads, is the ERG valve the typical fix for check engine light? I've yet to have the car plugged in to check why the light is on.

momeeof2 November 20th, 2014 2:25 PM

Originally Posted by Btompkins26 (Post 284758)
I have the same year equinox having the same issue, the traction control light comes on followed by the check engine, seems to be a typical issue with this "stabiltrak" in the Chevys as I've seen the avalanches and Tahoes having the issue on other threads, is the ERG valve the typical fix for check engine light? I've yet to have the car plugged in to check why the light is on.

It depends. I was having the same issue with my 08 Equinox. Replaced EGR valve, cleaned tube, did tranny service, and a tune up and still getting the same codes for the EGR valve. I'm stumped, but not giving up!

lvbrown@liberty.edu November 30th, 2014 4:39 PM

2008 Equinox; Could hardly get it to dealer for long-awaited service appointment.
<hr style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" SIZE="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Nov 24: Very concerned about overlapping issues, both occurring randomly since approx. Aug; now disabling the vehicle's operation. First problem is ignition circuit; prevents starting approx. 50% of the time; Trouble Code read "secondary ignition circuit fault" (sound familiar, GM??). The second problem (when the vehicle starts) has three warnings: "Engine power is reduced", "service stabilitrak," and "service traction control." I have a dealer appointment for troubleshooting Dec 1; frustrated that it was nearly a two week wait for a troubleshooting appointment for an unserviceable vehicle.
Have NHTSA issues 10628255 and 10659384 open on this issue/vehicle.

Nov 30 update - required 3 hours and OnStar assistance to get vehicle started to take to Pinkerton Chevrolet/Lynchburg VA for diagnostic appointment; OnStar provided OBD Codes C0561 and P1682; P1682 seems the more likely culprit.

lvbrown@liberty.edu November 30th, 2014 4:43 PM

Make Government aware of need for recall..

File your safety complaint about GM's starting/ignition/Stabilitrak/reduced power problems at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ - If GM won't acknowledge problems, maybe NHTSA can "help them" acknowledge them...

lvbrown@liberty.edu November 30th, 2014 4:46 PM

Make Government aware of need for recall..
<hr style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" SIZE="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
File your safety complaint about GM's starting/ignition/Stabilitrak/reduced power problems at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ - If GM won't acknowledge problems, maybe NHTSA can "help them" acknowledge them...

bulldevil December 2nd, 2014 2:25 PM

I have a 2011 Terrain SLE and last night on my ride up 95 my truck screen popped up with the 'engine power reduced' and 'service stabilitrak' indicators, scared me to death! Is this something that is covered by a recall or a fortune to fix? Im terrified to take it to the dealer to find out just yet. I should mention that it has 91,000 miles

Chevrolet Customer Service December 2nd, 2014 6:33 PM

Originally Posted by bulldevil (Post 290197)
I have a 2011 Terrain SLE and last night on my ride up 95 my truck screen popped up with the 'engine power reduced' and 'service stabilitrak' indicators, scared me to death! Is this something that is covered by a recall or a fortune to fix? Im terrified to take it to the dealer to find out just yet. I should mention that it has 91,000 miles

Hello bulldevil,

We are truly sorry to hear that you experienced this concern while driving. We'd be glad to discuss further with you and investigate further. Please send a private message to us if you're interested!

Andraya
GM Customer Care

carlfarr44 December 14th, 2014 8:55 PM

Multiple issues just popped up

Have had my 2008 Equinox for a year now at 61,ooo miles. Stabilatrac off and service stabilatrac light coming on at random times. The ABS light usually comes on with it. I live in an area with limerock roads and was told that the speed sensors are getting gummed up with dirt and could be causing my issue. I work at an automotive shop and other guys have seen this happen. The sensors could also have damage causing a signal issue. I have to use an in depth diagnostic tester to check which sensors are not working properly. I'm hoping that just cleaning them will help, but might need to replace them.

I am also having an issue with the airbag system not recognizing a passenger in the front seat. I'm not sure what is causing that. It is random and only happens maybe 2 times out of 10.:confused:

momeeof2 December 28th, 2014 6:01 PM

Finally got my nox fixed. Ended up taking it to a local dealer and come to find out, my vehicle's EGR valve had to be a GM part. Replaced with an actual GM EGR valve and problem fixed. Total cost was $210. Got free labor and a discount on diagnostic fee. :D It's cheaper to buy GM part off internet but oh well. Already replaced it once with an autozone part and didn't feel like doing ourselves again. Good luck everyone!

momeeof2 December 28th, 2014 6:03 PM

Originally Posted by carlfarr44 (Post 290970)
Have had my 2008 Equinox for a year now at 61,ooo miles. Stabilatrac off and service stabilatrac light coming on at random times. The ABS light usually comes on with it. I live in an area with limerock roads and was told that the speed sensors are getting gummed up with dirt and could be causing my issue. I work at an automotive shop and other guys have seen this happen. The sensors could also have damage causing a signal issue. I have to use an in depth diagnostic tester to check which sensors are not working properly. I'm hoping that just cleaning them will help, but might need to replace them.

I am also having an issue with the airbag system not recognizing a passenger in the front seat. I'm not sure what is causing that. It is random and only happens maybe 2 times out of 10.:confused:

Sounds like wheel sensors to me. I had a buick that had bad sensors and kicked on the same lights. Not sure about the airbag issue though.

BadEquinoxen December 29th, 2014 8:50 AM

Many Service Issues

My 2010 Equinox has roughly 47k miles on it, and recently has been having the check engine light and stabilitrak/traction control messages coming on intermittently. I am scheduling an appointment with my closest Chevy dealer for later this week - I recently moved and have not used them before so I'm a little nervous. This vehicle has had SOOOOO many issues and I am nearing the end of my 5 year factory powertrain and extended bumper to bumper warranties. Other issues I've experienced in the past are: fuel pumps x2, cam sensors, timing chain, radio problems, etc. All of these seem to be VERY common for my model year and it concerns me greatly that I will continue to have problems with this vehicle in the future.

I purchased this care brand new and love the look and feel of it, but have been severely disappointed with the number of problems I've experienced with it.

Chevrolet Customer Service December 29th, 2014 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by BadEquinoxen (Post 291879)
My 2010 Equinox has roughly 47k miles on it, and recently has been having the check engine light and stabilitrak/traction control messages coming on intermittently. I am scheduling an appointment with my closest Chevy dealer for later this week - I recently moved and have not used them before so I'm a little nervous. This vehicle has had SOOOOO many issues and I am nearing the end of my 5 year factory powertrain and extended bumper to bumper warranties. Other issues I've experienced in the past are: fuel pumps x2, cam sensors, timing chain, radio problems, etc. All of these seem to be VERY common for my model year and it concerns me greatly that I will continue to have problems with this vehicle in the future.

I purchased this care brand new and love the look and feel of it, but have been severely disappointed with the number of problems I've experienced with it.

Hi there,

We're glad to learn you love the look and feel of your vehicle, but we're sorry to learn of the trouble you've encountered with your Equinox. We definitely recognize how this may become upsetting. Please keep us posted on your service visit. Feel free to PM us your VIN, contact information, and dealership name if there's anything we can do to help.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care