Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Stabiltrak & Traction Control issues

Old April 17th, 2016, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your info. This issue has been ongoing now for a year this June. We have had it in. It was bought used from a non-GM company. (Big company...don't want to drop names). They have tried numerous times. Replaced the EGR valve, no good. Followed the routing of the wiring, no good. Finally said they "thought" maybe the main computer needed to be replaced but wanted a second opinion. So, they took it to the GM dealership they use to have them evaluate it. This is when they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. So, another EGR valve later, we took the car home after it being gone for a week and a half. That's when we drove the 21 miles and the lights came on. We do not take off immediately and always give enough time for the computer to "set" itself when we start the vehicle so we know that isn't it. Later in the day we got in the car to go run and errand. No light on at 52795 miles. Five miles down the road, ding, ding, the lights come back on. I guess we are lucky in a sense because we haven't gotten the check engine light yet so haven't lost power. Just waiting for that to happen. I am in touch with GM and waiting on a response from them but having read the many posts on this problem, I doubt if I will have any response that does me any good. I've lost faith in this vehicle altogether. I will never, ever buy another one and at this point will probably never go with GM again. If they can not address such a major issue as this, I want nothing to do with them. I feel my life is an accident waiting to happen. We are documenting everything that happens, when it happens and at what miles it happens so our daughter will have the information in case something happens. I know that sounds over dramatic but it's a reality when you can't trust the vehicle.
Old April 17th, 2016, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the info you posted. New to this site so you may be able to read the comments I just put on for ruley73. I do appreciate the input but am at a loss. A year down the road, many times in the shop and still nothing done. I've lost faith and only want others that may be researching to buy a car to stay away from the Equinox and any other vehicles by GM that are having this issue. I do not have the engine light so, as of yet. As I told ruley73, I guess I'm lucky in that respect. Just waiting for that to happen though. Just hope it isn't in the middle of rush hour in heavy traffic.
Old April 17th, 2016, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

did they use OEM egr valves? I've had a lot of them come from other places after being replaced and still having the same codes and an OEM egr valve fixed it. New parts aren't always good parts and anymore aftermarket parts don't always cut it.
Old February 15th, 2020, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JAr4545108
I have a 07 Equinox & keep getting a warning light saying Stabiltrak off, Service Traction Control. Sometimes if I shut my vehicle off & then restart, it will be fine for a while. Not sure what is causing it. Just put in a new battery & new tires. Someone said might be a senser. Of course it's not under warranty any longer. Anyone know how much to replace a senser?

On my 2102 gmc yukon it was the MASS AIR SENSOR was making the traction control light come on and disabled the traction control.. Check the MAF sensor
Old February 22nd, 2020, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
did they use OEM egr valves? I've had a lot of them come from other places after being replaced and still having the same codes and an OEM egr valve fixed it. New parts aren't always good parts and anymore aftermarket parts don't always cut it.
The AC Delco OEM EGR valve fixed my stabilitrak issues (exact same issue as described by the OP). We tried an off-brand at first and the car wouldn't take it, so the error came back.
The ACDelco EGR valves are GM certified and are only about $150, and pretty easy to install. I found a video on YouTube and I figure I could have saved about a thousand dollars by just doing it myself. Unfortunately I let a mechanic shop gouge me. Not next time!!
Old October 16th, 2022, 1:55 AM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=Drycreek;213996]Do not ignore the problem. I did the same thing - told it was a sensor, sensor was wet. in 24 hours I now have major engine problems as with the stabilink and traction contol lights coming on - the engine light comes on and engine power is reduce. Continued driving causes transmission issues - get your vehicle into the shop immediately and have the mechanic run diagonostics - it's better to take it to the dealer, ignoring the transaction control light will eventually cause irreversible damage with your transmission. This happened with a 2006 Chevy Impala at 30K miles and now with a 2009 Equinox at 33K miles - it's definitly an issue with Chrevrolets.[/QUOTE

Stabilitrak sensor or other issue... How do I prevent this, or fix the issue? New battery and new solenoid sensors on both sides, please let me know!
Old April 3rd, 2023, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Impala traction sensor

I have the same problem in my 2013 Impala LTZ. Had the sensor replaced last summer and it started lighting up again two weeks ago. Had the sensor replaced yet again last Wednesday. It started acting up again today. No reason it should be wet. Contacted Chevy. They suggested the new part might be faulty - could not tell me if it was a recall issue and barring faulty part, take to a dealer, of course, which I doubt I can afford. My. Mechanic is putting the machine on it again Friday morning to see if it reads as the exact same problem. My car has 55,711 miles on it. This has me a bit sad, as I love this car.