Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Starting problem (continually turning over)

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2009, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem (continually turning over)

One issue I've run across is an occasional problem starting the vehicle... it doesn't seem to have any sort of pattern (time of day, temp, gas level, etc). What happens is you turn the key and the starter will turn over but it's like it stays on and 'sticks'. To get it to stop you have to turn the key to the off position and try again. Usually the second time it will do it and you give it a little gas and the engine will go ahead and turn over. I've heard mixed stories about this being a computer issue or clogged fuel injectors but nothing definite. There doesn't seem to be any SES lights that are triggered after the fact so I'm a bit puzzled.

I do get the occasional SES light that comes on... I contacted OnStar and they reported it was an Emissions code but wouldn't give me any more details than that. I found a TSB regarding some issue with the gas cap not closing completely and I have a feeling it is related to that as it happens typically right after getting gas (often trying to 'top off' the tank). Another person told me that it was the EVAP (?) can getting fuel into it and causing it to malfunction.

Both problems exist on a 2006 LT.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Kelly
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by xcesmess
One issue I've run across is an occasional problem starting the vehicle... it doesn't seem to have any sort of pattern (time of day, temp, gas level, etc). What happens is you turn the key and the starter will turn over but it's like it stays on and 'sticks'. To get it to stop you have to turn the key to the off position and try again. Usually the second time it will do it and you give it a little gas and the engine will go ahead and turn over. I've heard mixed stories about this being a computer issue or clogged fuel injectors but nothing definite. There doesn't seem to be any SES lights that are triggered after the fact so I'm a bit puzzled.

I do get the occasional SES light that comes on... I contacted OnStar and they reported it was an Emissions code but wouldn't give me any more details than that. I found a TSB regarding some issue with the gas cap not closing completely and I have a feeling it is related to that as it happens typically right after getting gas (often trying to 'top off' the tank). Another person told me that it was the EVAP (?) can getting fuel into it and causing it to malfunction.

Both problems exist on a 2006 LT.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Kelly
Its a fairly common problem, generally all thats needed is a throttle body cleaning and a PCM reprogram/reset and as i think of it an oil change wouldn't be a bad idea afterwards, the cleaning solvents used can find its way into the oil ... don't get the dealer to do the oil change, they'll do it before they do the TB cleaning, kinda defeats the purpose. the emisions code is from the air/fuel mix miss match, the PCM calibrates with every startup, so the more failed starts the more you'll have.
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

I have same problem with my 05 Equinox. Dealer showed me something from Chevy that said it's something that just happens with the car, that it doesn't do any damage and isn't worth fixing. I don't know if that's true, but I just stopped worrying about it. Whenever it happens, I just wait until it stops and turn the key again.
Old August 1st, 2010, 8:50 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by marklambert
I have same problem with my 05 Equinox. Dealer showed me something from Chevy that said it's something that just happens with the car, that it doesn't do any damage and isn't worth fixing. I don't know if that's true, but I just stopped worrying about it. Whenever it happens, I just wait until it stops and turn the key again.
any vehicle which has an incorrect fuel to air mixture, generally doesn't run at its peek performance, ( with chevrolet, 2-3 KPH less than advertised ), i believe i got 4-5 KPH after i did the throttlebody cleaning ... in otherwards, closer to the advertised fuel usage
Old September 17th, 2010, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

I also have that same issue with my 06 equinox. Will any general auto shop be able to perform this. throttle body cleaning? Also is there a type of over the counter product I could use?

Otown
Old June 8th, 2011, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

I have had a problem like this since I bought my 2006 Equinox. It is an intermittent problem. When i try to start it, it will turn over and ignite but stalls. I have to start it again and give it gas to start it. A while back the problem started to happen more often than not and it was still under warranty so I brought it to the dealer. The dealer said it was maintenance and charged me $300! to clean the throttle body and fuel system. I still have the same problem just not as frequently.
Old June 9th, 2011, 7:50 AM
CF Active Member

If it only happens after fueling or topping off the tank, then you're probably over filling it and causing a vapor blockage. When the pump stops, round it to the nearest nickle and stop. See it that helps. It could be that you're charcoal canister is getting saturated.
Old June 10th, 2011, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. It doesn't seem to have any connection to when I've fuel up. I never try to top off, when the pump stops I'm done. When I get to a 1/4 tank I fill up with Shell only. I don't want to worry about getting gas from multiple vendors.
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:46 PM
CF Active Member

Get yourself a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner. I was having a stalling problem with my son's Eclipse and after a bottle of that, it's running great. Best time to add it is right before you fill up again. That helps mix it. If that doesn't work, you may have a fuel pressure problem. Take it to a trusted mechanic and have them do a fuel system pressure test on it for you. It doesn't take that long to do. Less than 30 minutes with the right equipment. You can get the Techron at your local Walmart in the automotive section. Black bottle and about six bucks here.
Old September 30th, 2012, 11:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't understand the starter continues to run problem with the throttle body cleaning fix. does the pcm control the starter ? does the pcm think the engine isn't running and continue to crank? i replaced the ignition lock cylinder thinking the cylinder was draging. it is very common that these cylinders eat keys and self destruct.

Quick Reply: Starting problem (continually turning over)