Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Uneven brake pad wear normal on 2007? 65k miles normal?

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2015, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven brake pad wear normal on 2007? 65k miles normal?

My 2007 Equinox has 65k miles on it. It started to make a grinding sound on the right rear disk brake, when braking. Original brakes. I was surprised that it didn't squeal (from the squeal tabs that usually warn you that it's time to change the brakes but discovered the tabs are only on the inner pads).

I installed new aftermarket pads and cross-drilled, slotted rotors (PowerStop K2092, $165 on Amazon) with the help of a YouTube video from 1A-Auto. Works well. But I was surprised that the brake-pad wear was VERY uneven, with the outside right-rear pad being worn down to the metal.
  • Left-rear outside: 3/32" remaining.
  • Left-rear inside: 5/32"
  • Right-rear inside: 4/32"
  • Right-rear outside: 0". Bare metal. No squeal tab so no squeal.
1) Is it normal for there to be such uneven wear on one of the brake pads or might I have some problem?

2) My front brakes have never been replaced but they're not making any noise. I'm not sure if I should replace them anyway and I don't feel like pulling them off to check. Practically all of my mileage is highway mileage. Is it normal to get 65k miles from front brakes? Seems like most of my cars only go about 50k before the brakes need to be changed (but that's with mixed city/highway driving).

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old March 18th, 2015, 7:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

uneven wear can occur when the floating caliper or pads do not slide properly. if you live in a rust belt a yearly brake service is required to clean the caliper bracket, pins and clips. Hopefully you did this when you put on new parts. 65000 miles is a fantastic service life.