Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Equinox (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/)
-   -   Wiring 2007 egr pig tail onto my 2006 (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/wiring-2007-egr-pig-tail-onto-my-2006-a-58910/)

mccombs310 June 24th, 2013 8:09 AM

Wiring 2007 egr pig tail onto my 2006

Ok i got the replacement tube/egr and it all installed with no issue until i realised the pug was different. I got the new pig tail and all the wires are white (which doesnt suprise me) I figured if i just go one by one i couldnt screw up wiring the new one. Apparently i was wrong because now unless my egr is unplugged my car will not start. Long story short i need a wiring diagram as to which white wire goes to what colored wire on my car. Thanks in advance.

ruley73 June 24th, 2013 11:59 AM

Post #2 from this thread should be useful. If you got the kit that came with the new EGR tube, it should have also came with instructions for installing the new plug.

mccombs310 June 24th, 2013 1:54 PM

I saved 100$ and bought them seperatly so no instructions. That does help alot thanks. Is there any thread that states what white wire to what colored wire? like i said i thought i could just do first wire on old plug to the first white wire on the new and so on.... Clearly that didnt work because my car didnt start. I am mechanicly enclined but i am in no way a wiring expert. Im like a 3rd grader lol pictures help alot. thanks again.

ruley73 June 25th, 2013 9:53 AM

The positions of the pins/wires in the plugs should be labeled with letters.

mccombs310 June 25th, 2013 11:01 AM

so the new plug with the white wires should be numbered.... Is there a site where i can just get the instructions for the kit? My question has still not been answered lol. Thats great they are numbered but i still dont know which ones go to what colored wires.

ruley73 June 26th, 2013 6:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After looking at the TSB and a wiring diagram, I suspect that you got the two grey wires connected backwards since the order of the wires in the plug is exactly the same as your old EGR valve.

I have attached an excerpt of the wiring diagram for the EGR valve and the TSB for replacing the old EGR valve (Delphi w/vertical plug) with the part with the revised design (Siemens w/side plug). This should be all the info you'll need. If you still can't figure it out, you'll need to take the vehicle to a dealership. You will need to have the PCM reprogrammed by a Chevrolet dealership after you are completed anyways.

Attachment 5632
Attachment 5631

mccombs310 June 27th, 2013 11:09 AM

thank you very very much for answering my question ruley! Why would the pcm need reprogrammed? and what would happen if i didnt? Just curious

ruley73 June 27th, 2013 12:51 PM

In a nutshell, the new EGR valve won't work properly because the PCM is currently calibrated to tell the old EGR valve what to do and when to do it. Because the new EGR valve is different than the old one, it may not work properly and the PCM will likely throw troublecodes.

Taken from the first page of the TSB I previously posted:

Important
This EGR valve kit is used to convert a Delphi EGR valve equipped LNJ engine used in the Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent to a Siemens valve. This kit contains all necessary parts for conversion.The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) calibration must be updated for the Siemens EGR valve to work correctly. Failure to install an updated calibration when using this conversion kit may cause PCM diagnostic codes to set, resulting in a "Service Engine Soon" indicator lamp to illuminate.

Erik Tenorio March 29th, 2017 1:12 AM

I am also doing the same thing with my car, (equinox 2005) and I have noticed that there are two grey wires. I was stupid enough to cut the old connector and now I am left with two grey wires and I don't know how to tell the difference. not to mention the only real distinction in the other 3 cable is the orange one. I see there is a light brown cable and a purple looking one? I want to say the darker is the so called brown cable and the lighter one is the tan but what really got me confused is the two grey wires. any help would be great.