Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Yet another 2010 Equinox burning oil and stalling!

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2014, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil issue

I purchased a 2010 Equinox 1LT 4 cylinder in Jan. 2010 and like so many others on this thread I also had an issue with the engine burning oil. At roughly 70,000 miles went through the oil consumption test and sure enough needed a replacement. This was no big deal to me everything was covered and the dealership was very easy to work with. Everything ran great until approximately 126,000 miles when the engine light turned on. I was near the end of a 3000 mile cycle. I checked the oil and the dip stick didn't register oil...hmmmm not again. I poured in a quart and had the oil changed the next day. I monitored the oil level each week and at 3 weeks (1500 miles) it was 2.5 quarts low. I called the dealer and was told they would not do anything for the replacement engine because it was no longer under warranty. I could replace it out of pocket. Yeah right for the next one to fail at 50 to 70k. What disappoints me the most is that I had just paid off the remaining balance on the note the week prior to the engine light coming on. I really liked this vehicle. It was the first new car I purchased and the first Chevrolet I have ever owned. Unfortunately it is time for the vehicle to go and I don't think GM could get me in another one. Currently on the top of my list is the Hyundai Tucson then Nissan Rogue. Just disappointing.
Old July 28th, 2014, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Maybe the soluotion to all the problems with the 2010 Equinoxes is to trade them into GM dealerships and put the problems back on them. GM doesn't seem to want to listen to the consumers. If enough dealers have the problem on them GM might listen.
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phartzell
Maybe the soluotion to all the problems with the 2010 Equinoxes is to trade them into GM dealerships and put the problems back on them. GM doesn't seem to want to listen to the consumers. If enough dealers have the problem on them GM might listen.

Umm, they would just resell them to other people. How would it put it on them?
Old August 26th, 2014, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Please Help!

Long story short...I have had all of the same issues with my 2010 equinox that I purchased new in May 2010 when the head gasket cracked on my 2006 equinox. Needless to say, I am extremely upset. I have been laughed at by the dealership when I said burning 3 quarts of oil in 6000 miles was unacceptable and was told "not according to chevy standards". There was absolutely no explanation for why it is burning so much oil or where it is going. I now have 88,000 miles and think they are stalling until my warranty runs out. Has anyone had a "fix" that actually worked? Please help me...I'm desperate. I don't want this to keep happening while my 2 year old is in the car.
Old September 24th, 2014, 12:52 AM
CF Beginner

Post Equinox 2010 LT

I just like many others really liked this model of Chevy until all the hidden surprises presented themselves. I have always been a Chevy fan, and so much to the point that I would always speak highly of their great customer service and brilliant vehicles. Today, it is a different day. I have had oil consumption issues, stalling while stopped, engine pinging, intermittent service lights no matter if serviced or not. Yesterday, with my family in the vehicle at 65k the transmission suddenly failed with no warning, and stalled while attempting to change lanes on an uphill climb, and all of a sudden no acceleration in a construction zone down to 2 lanes with no shoulders and an 18 wheeler on my tail. How many deaths does it take to get a recall? Vehicle is at the dealership right now, and I'm no longer a fan after reading the numerous experiences coupled with my own. God bless those who may have died due to the mechanical failures from this Chevy vehicle, as my family was almost a statistic too!!! To all prospective buyers beware and do not purchase this vehicle! Hard earned middleclass money down the drain. Thanks.
Old September 25th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

We can certainly understand your frustrations with your Equinox, Chevy 4 Life. Although I'm unable to provide technical advice, I would like to contact your dealer to discuss your concerns further with them. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name if our help is needed. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 equinox

So fed up with the run around....I have always had a chevy, but not after this! Have owned my equinox four months and had to have it towed twice because it stalled. Local mechanic checked it the first time and said the oil was very dirty and needed to be changed....1,000 miles in from oil change! Now, mechanic says it is a power train warranty issue...called local dealer to have it towed there and the guy was very short and sarcastic with me. He did not want to hear what I had done...said he would diagnose it for $95 and decide if it was worth fixing. Told him that my mechanic had heard this vehicle is having issues and laughed at me. Not happy....$18,000 down the drain apparently. It better be fixed with a new power train for only being three years old! Runs rough...stalls...major hesitation when accelerating....jerks forward when brakes applied...didn't do this in test drive of course!
Old October 3rd, 2014, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevrolet has a fix for this

I had this same problem on my Chevy Equinox -- I put a lot of miles on my car, so ran into this same problem over a year ago, except for the stalling. Chevy has a fix for this and has a service bulletin for this issue. They had to rebuild my whole engine (second time before 100,000 miles). Luckily I had a 100,000 mile warranty on my car. The good thing is that in the 40,000 miles since, I haven't had any of these issues. It still doesn't sound as quiet as it should, but I now keep my oil changed every 3-4000 miles and haven't had any issues with the engine and no issues with burning. All of the dealerships should have this information.
Old October 29th, 2014, 4:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default So upset

My 2010 Equinox has ride "rough", and felt like its on the verge of stalling for a couple years now which is terrifying with little kids in the car. Back in January it did stall and the engine light came on and so did the light for traction control. My husband helped me get the car to the dealership and I was told the car was low on oil (before it was scheduled for an oil change) and that was the only issue. The car continued to rattle snd felt like it might stall and always seems to lack acceleration but, Now here we are again... the feeling that it is going to stall has gotten worse... AGAIN.

It scares me so much my husband got a disgnostic tool that we plug into the car and my completely oblivious to car issue self always can tell something is off and just not right. Once again the oil is low 2000 miles before my next scheduled oil change so hopefully I won't end up stranded tomorrow.

The rattling and feeling like its going to stall has been going on for years now yet Im told nothing is wrong or that I just need to add more oil at an unusually fast rate. I'm so upset and I will never buy a Chevy ever again based off this experience. I'm afraid I'm going to get into an accident with the stalling or accelaration issue... And I'm terrified I'm going to get stranded somewhere with my three children. Yet, I keep being told it isn't an issue...
Old October 29th, 2014, 5:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmschu2
My 2010 Equinox has ride "rough", and felt like its on the verge of stalling for a couple years now which is terrifying with little kids in the car. Back in January it did stall and the engine light came on and so did the light for traction control. My husband helped me get the car to the dealership and I was told the car was low on oil (before it was scheduled for an oil change) and that was the only issue. The car continued to rattle snd felt like it might stall and always seems to lack acceleration but, Now here we are again... the feeling that it is going to stall has gotten worse... AGAIN.

It scares me so much my husband got a disgnostic tool that we plug into the car and my completely oblivious to car issue self always can tell something is off and just not right. Once again the oil is low 2000 miles before my next scheduled oil change so hopefully I won't end up stranded tomorrow.

The rattling and feeling like its going to stall has been going on for years now yet Im told nothing is wrong or that I just need to add more oil at an unusually fast rate. I'm so upset and I will never buy a Chevy ever again based off this experience. I'm afraid I'm going to get into an accident with the stalling or accelaration issue... And I'm terrified I'm going to get stranded somewhere with my three children. Yet, I keep being told it isn't an issue...
Hey Kmschu2,

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns and I can understand how scary this could be. I would be happy to look into this further for you. Please private message me your VIN, contact info, current mileage and the dealership you're working with.

Anisha T (assisting Patsy)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: Yet another 2010 Equinox burning oil and stalling!