Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2018 Equinox LT 1.5L Turbo / clanking sound over bumps, struts?

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2023, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Equinox LT 1.5L Turbo / clanking sound over bumps, struts?

Everything was fine yesterday when I started off driving. After a 7 hour drive, I started hearing a clanking sound from driver side front when hitting bumps. It gradually got worse by the end of the drive. When I'm on smooth road with very slight bumps, nothing makes noise. Only with small or large sudden bumps, the clank sound happens. When Im driving slow, I turned the wheeI back and forth to try and get the struts to compress and I hear the noise when i do that. I jacked up car and wiggled wheel left and right and up and down and there is no play. I took wheel off and inspected the outer tie rod, sway bar link and sway bar. Nothing looks damaged or worn and prying on them a little doesn't seem to replicate the noise or look like any play or metal to metal contact. Control arm bushings and ball joint seem to look ok and have no play. The boot is torn however on the strut, but the boot is the same on the other strut as well. I dont see any leakage or damage though. At this point I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I'm thinking to replace both strut assemblies.

1) Can someone confirm based on what I've explained what may most likely be the issue?
2) If I do go ahead and order parts, on Rock Auto I only see an option for 1.5L L4 Turbo. My Equinox is 1.5L LT Turbo front wheel drive. Is this the same vehicle?
3) Can someone please provide torque settings for:
- 2 Lower struts bolts/nuts
- 3 upper strut nuts
- Sway bar link (upper bolt/nut)

Thank you for any help.

Last edited by Johnds1; June 17th, 2023 at 1:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old April 11th, 2024, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

I have the awd version and while I don't have the rattle noise I do get a creaking/popping sound out of the right front when I turn right or take off from a dead stop. My first thought was it was the strut tower as it rotates but I haven't been able to get the car up and get a closer look at it.

As for torque values here's a link to a manual. https://www.cequinox.com/strut_assem...mbly-1709.html
Old April 12th, 2024, 11:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Broken spring, loose / worn upper strut bushing, loose brake pad? Put away that parts cannon and prove the fault. Don't be a parts changer. Good luck!

L4 Turbo is referring to the number of cylinders, LT is the model trim level, two different, unrelated things.

Last edited by BlueOx; April 12th, 2024 at 11:37 AM.
Old May 4th, 2024, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

I ended up replacing my front struts which stopped the noise and while I was at it I replaced my rear shocks with KYB excel-g's. Turns out the rears had leaked out pretty bad and if I compress them they barely move out. I used all KYB mounting hardware so its all new back there which really made a different in the cars height.

Next up is replacing the sway bar links and bushings at both ends when I can source greaseable parts. I've already found Moog's for the front but nothing for the rear yet. I live in FL so I need to get this done soon before it gets too hot for me to work outside.