Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Bad Heater Core??

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2019, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Heater Core??

Need some help, I have a 2017 Equinox and the issue started last winter and we hit -60 (with wind chill temps).. I have been doing a lot of reading and all signs are pointing to a bad Heater core but there are some signs missing. Quick bad story. September 2018, the vehicle was involved in an accident where I slid into someone causing the diver side front fender and parts needing to be replaced. The car was drivable after the accident and took it a repair shop to have everything fixed on it. Now this is where the issues is. During the winter months in Chicago its gets extremely cold. I can have the Defroster on the front window but the temperature has to be at LOW for it to work. The second I put the HEAT on, steam (smoke) fills the cabin. When nothing is one, there is not smell in the car and no puddles of antifreeze on the floors. I have taken the car into the dealership to get the oil changed and I have told him what I have noticed and they are not able to replicate the cause so they always tell me its fine. However its NOT FINE. I have tried to find recalls on it and I have also contacted the Repair shop that did my accident repairs and they said that its not their problem because it was not something that would have been damaged by from the accident. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 29th, 2019, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

yes of course
Old October 30th, 2019, 12:42 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by TimB_13
Need some help, I have a 2017 Equinox and the issue started last winter and we hit -60 (with wind chill temps).. I have been doing a lot of reading and all signs are pointing to a bad Heater core but there are some signs missing. Quick bad story. September 2018, the vehicle was involved in an accident where I slid into someone causing the diver side front fender and parts needing to be replaced. The car was drivable after the accident and took it a repair shop to have everything fixed on it. Now this is where the issues is. During the winter months in Chicago its gets extremely cold. I can have the Defroster on the front window but the temperature has to be at LOW for it to work. The second I put the HEAT on, steam (smoke) fills the cabin. When nothing is one, there is not smell in the car and no puddles of antifreeze on the floors. I have taken the car into the dealership to get the oil changed and I have told him what I have noticed and they are not able to replicate the cause so they always tell me its fine. However its NOT FINE. I have tried to find recalls on it and I have also contacted the Repair shop that did my accident repairs and they said that its not their problem because it was not something that would have been damaged by from the accident. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I'd put some Alumaseal in the cooling system first. Pulling a heater core is job intensive. Could be a bad relay or heater resistor gone bad. Might be your control panel switch too.