Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   02 chevy express 1500 cylinder head gasket install (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/02-chevy-express-1500-cylinder-head-gasket-install-88796/)

the Brain February 2nd, 2018 3:45 AM

02 chevy express 1500 cylinder head gasket install

can cylinder head gasket be swapped w/ engine in van

Vans idels ruff has multiple misfire, low on power when cold lots of white smoke
From exhaust pipe. Using lots of coolant I’ve actually been adding coolant since I bought this van about 2 years ago and 5K miles however according to the somewhat accurate GM water temp gauge engine has never over heated.

The inside of radiator cap doesn’t have the milkie creamie stuff just a good layer of rust, the inside of rad. Is rustie also.

1.can cylinder head gasket be swapped w/ engine in van?
2.or since it hasn’t overheated can I get by w/ sealing fluid poured into the rad.?

Thanks for any good advice.

mountainmanjoe February 2nd, 2018 3:05 PM

I think that sealing fluid won't fix it. The problem sounds too severe.

Do you see coolant in the oil? Which engine is it?

Yes you can work on the engine in place. Remove the seats (only 4x18mm bolts each) to give yourself some breathing room. It will also allow you to take the doghouse right out of the way.

I would first examine the engine exterior for obvious signs of failure. You might be able to get away with replacing just the lower intake manifold gasket.

the Brain February 3rd, 2018 5:25 AM

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe (Post 352194)
I think that sealing fluid won't fix it. The problem sounds too severe.

Do you see coolant in the oil? theres only a drop of oil on the dipstick so I can't tell I'll take a closer look Which engine is it?
vortex 5.7

Yes you can work on the engine in place.

I would first examine the engine exterior for obvious signs of failure. You might be able to get away with replacing just the lower intake manifold gasket.

yes you make some very valid points by first checking for a cracked block, that mite be fun expoxing it back together if thats even possible?

I have previously tested the intake manifold for leaks by spraying carb cleaner all around its gasket didnt observe any increase in RMPs w/ spary.

there isn't any online van engine swaps videos except for the body removal w/ a lift.

I did see a video of a man lifting the previous era Astro using 4x4wooden blocks to suropt the body,

1.we you say "Yes you can work on the engine in place" are you saying the heads can be removed from block from inside van and though the wheel wheel?

this is still a nice conversion van and adaquite tow vehicah I'd like to spend some time turn so wrenchs and get her up and running,
2.I look at RA for replacement head gaskets this is a totalley stock engine for now,

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have a combined kit that includs TTY bolts and valve stem seals
w/ 200K on the clock can the rest of the valve train stay as is like reuse the springs retainers keepers ect.? please susgest a gasket kit there are big price differnces and this will be my first head gasket.

after seeing the ytube vids it now makes total sense why she was missfiring.

will I have to clean the block for it visuale inspection for cracks?

edit:Is this true or false some oldtime expert mechanics spary paint or even WD40 on both sides of gasket before torquing down?
Thanks for advice TB

StanVan February 3rd, 2018 8:44 AM

I was always told a thin layer of axle grease on both sides of a head gasket. If nothing else, it will help to hold it in place while you line up the head in reassembly. I've only rebuilt small motors, and never had any issues with doing this.

the Brain February 3rd, 2018 9:12 AM

actualley GM got smart the LS engine has cylinder head aglinement doles.

I've sean videos of folks spraying copper on gaskets before installing but never paint or WD40 seams paint will melt.

StanVan February 3rd, 2018 9:24 AM

I'm not sure what WD is supposed to do in that situation. WD evaporates fairly quickly in normal temps(a day or so). Seems to me it wouldn't last minutes when an engine gets to temperature.

mountainmanjoe February 3rd, 2018 12:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If there's coolant in the crankcase, it can show up on the bottom of the oil cap looking like mayonnaise.

Originally Posted by the Brain (Post 352207)
yes you make some very valid points by first checking for a cracked block

I have previously tested the intake manifold for leaks by spraying carb cleaner all around its gasket

I was thinking more along the lines of a coolant leak. I had an intake manifold that became very pitted over time, and the gasket eventually failed and blew out the side. (Vortec 4.3) But I suppose you would have noticed that. (unless problem is inside)
Attachment 17558
Attachment 17557

that mite be fun expoxing it back together if thats even possible?

That sounds like a terrible idea.

1.we you say "Yes you can work on the engine in place" are you saying the heads can be removed from block from inside van and though the wheel wheel?

Through the doghouse opening. Possibly even out the underhood compartment.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have a combined kit that includs TTY bolts and valve stem seals
w/ 200K on the clock can the rest of the valve train stay as is like reuse the springs retainers keepers ect.? please susgest a gasket kit there are big price differnces and this will be my first head gasket.

If you do end up changing the head gaskets, I agree that it's worthwhile to rebuild the heads using a kit. Nothing wrong with Fel-pro. Bolts come separately.

will I have to clean the block for it visuale inspection for cracks?

I've had the same problem as you, only much worse, and the block never cracked. I've never heard of/seen a cracked block. Does that happen often nowadays? The heads might have warped though. You may want to check those and possibly have them machined.

edit:Is this true or false some oldtime expert mechanics spary paint or even WD40 on both sides of gasket before torquing down?

No. I wouldn't put anything on it.

the Brain February 3rd, 2018 7:41 PM

does my 02 express have the L31R engine?
like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...0283/overview/

also what all donor car can I get a 5.7 vortec used engine?
thanks

mountainmanjoe February 3rd, 2018 8:24 PM

Yes, L31(R)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...ock_engine#L31

the Brain February 4th, 2018 6:43 AM

is the 6.0 LY6 390hp engine interchangable like wiring,bolting to the 4L60E trans w/ my 02 era express?

also can the radiator core surport be unbolted to pull engine from front?