Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

02 Express Cutaway.(Class B motorhome) . Caster slots need to be punched out?

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2017, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Express Cutaway.(Class B motorhome) . Caster slots need to be punched out?

I brought my 02 Cutaway in for an alignment today. Alignment tech showed me the upper control arm mounts (on the frame) where the caster cams are. He said that even though the cams are there, the holes are holes, they're not slotted to allow for in/out caster adjustment.

He said he has to elongate the holes by removing the bolts from the upper control arms, pulling them out of the way and using a special "knock out/punch out" tool to punch out the stamped blank on the frame mount. Thus making the adjustment hole slotted(oval/buttonholed) instead of just a hole. He actually showed me the tool.

It seems to make sense, but I did a litter inter-netting and found this. It tells of the issue with earlier GMs, but not 2002+.

https://www.motor.com/magazinepdfs/061999_04.pdf

Anyone ever hear of this with a 2002 or greater GM?

Sounds like all I have to do is remove the wheel, take out the two caster adjusting bolts and swing the upper control arm down and away, then punch out the two knockouts. Am I missing anything?

Thanks.
Old May 13th, 2017, 6:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the knockout designs were used on pre 99 old body style pickups. the switch to adjustable eccentric bolts started in the new body style 99. the vans probably switched a few years after the trucks.
for removing them, your on the right track.

whats out on the alignment? caster isn't a tire wear angle so there would have to be a cross caster problem causing a pull or camber problem causing a tire wear or pull issue before i'd be bothered to knock them out...then buy eccentric bolts, then pay for another alignment.
post the alignment printout. post pics of the tires if they have irregular wear.

Last edited by tech2; May 13th, 2017 at 6:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pjw73nh (May 9th, 2021)
Old May 13th, 2017, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tech2, thanks for the reply. The van is new to me. It has new tires on it. I wanted to get the alignment checked to be sure the tires wouldn't wear unevenly. There is slight steering wander, but not bad at all. The steering components check out good and tight. Pitman, control, idler, steering box, ball joints etc. All tight. I just chalked the wander up to the fact it's a motorhome and is pretty darn heavy. It's not that bad. It may even just be my perception. (Wife and other mechanic don't notice it).

What's odd, is that I believe the eccentric bolts ARE there. At least I saw what I THINK are eccentric bolts. Each bolt goes through the control arm, and the frame mount, and has an elliptical "lobe" that looks as though it SHOULD move the upper control arm in or out as it is turned. The lobe contacts the lip on the frame mount. If this is the case, why would the eccentric bolts be there, if the slots weren't punched out?

See attached Pic and alignment printout.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails 02 Express Cutaway.(Class B motorhome) . Caster slots need to be punched out?-express-alignment2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old May 13th, 2017, 8:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

your correct, It comes with the eccentrics, the knock outs have to be removed unless someone previous have removed them.

I doubt the old tires had any irregular wear with the numbers shown. If your going to save all the labour and remove the knocks out yourself...knock yourself out. For the amount the camber is out of spec you won't have any problems. the caster is fine...it has a nice 0.5* cross caster that should off set road crown. the toe is almost perfect.

You must be in a rust free area as that control arm is clean.
The following users liked this post:
pjw73nh (May 9th, 2021)