Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

'07 Express gauges not working...

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2011, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Express gauges not working... Plese help.

In my '07 Express the display cluster gauges remain at zero and all icons remain lit when the ignition key is in AUX position. Switching it to RUN / engine running or not / causes most icons go off leaving only engine, abs and battery still lit and all gauges still at zero. ECU data is not available at OBDII port at any position of ignition key. Otherwise, the van starts and drives as good as always.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by aaric; December 22nd, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 1:23 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> aaric,

It may be your stepper motor. That is a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. They should be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis.

If you have any additional questions, please contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 22nd, 2011, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Louis,

Thank you for the reply and I'd take your suggestion under consideration but why a defective stepper motor caused all other symptoms as I've described in my post? All of them happened at exactly the same time.

Last edited by aaric; December 22nd, 2011 at 5:49 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 8:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you've checked the OBD data link connector for battery voltage on pin 16 (rightmost pin, bottom row as you view the connector under the dash) and ground on pin 5 (5th pin from the left, top row). If battery voltage absent, check the 15A CIG LTR fuse.

If that's not it, there may be a module on the Class 2 data bus that's behaving badly. It may be the I/P cluster itself. The only way to find the culprit is to remove each module from the bus systematically until the OBD data link connector comes live.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 9:33 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I suggested the stepper motor because it controls each gauge. You stated the gauges remain at zero. I didn't realize all of the issues happened at exactly the same time. Is this a regular occurrence? If not, how often does it happen? You stated the vehicle starts and drives like it has before, do the gauges work while you are driving (i.e. speedometer)? Has the vehicle been inspected for this issue?

If you PM me your VIN number I can investigate your vehicle further for any known issues.

I look forward to your reply!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 27th, 2011, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you both very much for the replies. I will update my situation in a couple of days /being that its Christmas and all/.
In regards to my first post, the list of symptoms should have included a failure of all key fob functions /key fob itself is OK/ and the trailer/towing function n/w.
@Louis, I've left the VIN# in Your box.