Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

10mm tail light mounting bolts for Chevy Express Van

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2018, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10mm tail light mounting bolts for Chevy Express Van

I am curious to know if the mounting posts, to which the tail light assembly mounts, is a stud/part of the frame, or is it a bolt that can be removed from the other side? I ask because the bolts sheared off when I tried to remove the tail light assembly to replace the bulbs.
Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2018, 2:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

It's a stud, and it's only attached to a single layer of thin sheet metal. And because it's exposed to the weather, it gets rusted and seized to the nut very easily. You saw the result, and it's no surprise given the retarded design. I put anti-seize on them.

There are repair studs you can put in. Or you can leave the tail light hanging off the other two studs.
Old May 9th, 2018, 4:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You can also drill and tap it and use a bolt to hold the light on instead of a nut.
Old May 9th, 2018, 4:40 PM
Super Moderator

tap sheet metal?
Old May 9th, 2018, 5:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Isn't it thicker where the stud was attached? Usually they are. Also you can use sheet metal screws or self tapping screws.
Old May 9th, 2018, 6:21 PM
Super Moderator

No, just sheet metal.

If you drill, you create a point of ingress. Anybody who lives in a rainy area knows that compromising the body is a no-no.
Old May 10th, 2018, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
No, just sheet metal.

If you drill, you create a point of ingress. Anybody who lives in a rainy area knows that compromising the body is a no-no.
So, if Drill/tap is a bad idea because of potential for rust, what is a better option? This is a company vehicle; the company is super cheap and wants vehicles to magically stay functional without spending money, so I'm trying to find easy/cheap option that is more permanent than duct tape!
Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2018, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Joe is almost right. But it would have to be a real sloppy hole to allow water to enter. A dab of RTV or a rubber washer would stop any water from getting in. I'd worry more about electrolysis. 2 different kinds of metal and water make a battery, and in turn rust.
Old May 10th, 2018, 1:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by StanVan
it would have to be a real sloppy hole to allow water to enter.
Water has a way of getting into the smallest of crevices, Stan, and then eating away at it.

A dab of RTV or a rubber washer would stop any water from getting in
RTV might work for a year or two. I like the rubber washer idea more. Or maybe blind rivnut.

TBH, I would leave it be. The two other studs are more than enough to hold the tail light which doesn't weight very much.

2 different kinds of metal
What two metals?

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; May 10th, 2018 at 1:53 PM.
Old May 10th, 2018, 4:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Virtually any two. One acts as an anode, the other a cathode. In this case, water would be the electrolyte.

Electrolysis isn't always bad. It can be used to actually remove rust. In a tank, with a DC power supply(battery charger), a sacrificial anode, and electrolyte(water and washing soda). I've de-rusted many items. But then there's bad electrolysis. Boats that stay in the water for a season (or more) need a sacrificial anode to draw electrons away from important metal parts of the boat. Auto makers got away from chrome strip body accents because of electrolysis.