Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

10mm tail light mounting bolts for Chevy Express Van

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2018, 6:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I know about electrolysis. It happens between dissimilar metals. Not steel on steel.
Old May 10th, 2018, 7:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You are aware that there are different formulas of steel, that can cause an electrolytic reaction.
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

no, I'm not.

You aware that your van is full of dissimilar metals. You have aluminum heads sitting on an iron block. It's not that big of a deal.
Old May 11th, 2018, 6:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my 2 cents.... this is a sheet metal screw that roofers install when a person wants metal roof instead of shingles...
( how do I know this ) well I have a box of them still left over from my patio porch lol which I installed....on my 40x20 roof....
point is I drilled a small 1/8th in pilot hole and used my drill gun to install I Have No leaks any were on my roof.... I know you
can get these screws at lowes or home depot which ever is your choice ... heck I will even say menards prolly has them too....lol
But point being... this is a rout I will take if I ever have that problem on my van... Sure you could go as far as adding some
silicone as well for added protecting.. if your real **** you could even add some paint to the pre hole you drill... but point being
it would be a cheap easy fix... and in my opinion not leak.. ( My Roof Doesnt ) and its in direct rain fall .....
Attached Thumbnails 10mm tail light mounting bolts for Chevy Express Van-roof-screw.jpg  
Old May 11th, 2018, 8:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
no, I'm not.

You aware that your van is full of dissimilar metals. You have aluminum heads sitting on an iron block. It's not that big of a deal.
the missing component is the electrolyte. Oil is not an electrolyte, and the coolant has rust inhibitors.
Old May 11th, 2018, 2:20 PM
Super Moderator

Aluminum rims ... bolted on with steel hardware
Transfer cases (magnesium alloy) ... bolted on with steel hardware
(I could go on)
And they all get wet.
Old May 11th, 2018, 2:56 PM
CF Veteran

And they don't stay wet. "Forced" electrolysis for de-rusting takes hours. Incidental electrolysis takes months of constant exposure to an electrolyte, if not longer. A sacrificial anode on a boat can last two years before it's gone.

I can do this all day long.
Old May 11th, 2018, 3:23 PM
Super Moderator

And what is your point? The tail light won't stay wet either.

Sacrificial anodes are meant to be completely submerged in sea water to work. And they're make of zinc, which has a very strong electron affinity.

Regardless, using a steel screw on a steel body won't cause any appreciable electrolysis. Your biggest concern will be ordinary rust. It's total nonsense.
Old May 11th, 2018, 3:52 PM
CF Veteran

My point was that electrolysis is more of a threat than leakage.
Old May 11th, 2018, 4:16 PM
Super Moderator

No it is not. It's nothing like a boat anode. Water seepage is a much more real problem.