Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

16x6.5 to 18x180 rims - adapter plate needed

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2015, 12:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16x6.5 to 18x180 rims - adapter plate needed

Forum Readers,

I want to bling up my 2013 2500 Chev Express service van w/ some nice looking late model take off 8lug 18x180 rims I see on Ebay & places.

Question is, I'll have to purchase some high quality 8lug 1.5" wheel/rim adapter plates - I understand I may have have to grind off the lugs to make a nice flat mounting surface for the new bling 8 lug rims.

1. I don't want to re-invent the wheel here, surely someone out there has already done this?

2. Will the extra 1.5" width work front/back w/o any rub, especially on front turns?

3. I'm still running the factory tires…. - ok I've got to run out and see what tire size I've got, 1 moment, ok I’m back, I'm still running the OEM "LT245/75R16" tires, so I also need to know what tire I should place on my new 18x180 rims with the 1.5" adapter plate.

4. I'm also seeing I should use loctite - thought maybe I’d loctite after I know all is working well.

5. comments?

Hope I’m not breaking any forum rules here, but here are a couple suppliers I’m considering.

8 Lug Wheel Adapter | 8x6.5 to 8x180 | 1.5" Thick

Wheel Adapter 2011 Chevy Wheel Adapters

Just joined forum tonight!

My last service van was a 2000 4.3L Astro & it was still kick'n great when the corp. office wanted to retire it.

I'm also a corvetteforum member peep of 7 or so years (2nd owner C5 mag red vert w/ 40k miles & automatic, yes automatic - what was I think'n

Advance thanks, Jay!
Old March 25th, 2015, 6:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grind off the lugs? I don't like the sound of that. Why not purchase new wheels that are direct bolt on? Im sure Tire Rack or similar would set you up properly.

Be carefull if you have a slider door. If your rear tires stick out to far you will not be able to slide it open.
Old March 25th, 2015, 8:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That adapter will push out the wheels too much already.
Not worth the hassle for sure.
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

greenfire,

Grind off lugs, ok maybe I am a bit off key in stating, however I could not function w/o my 4.5” chop saw/grinder at work, so good point, I doubt I’ll grind off any studs in the near future.

Yes, slider door, I don’t have a slider door, I have the awkward double open out side doors - double doors are a real pain in my opinion, especially for all the years I had a slider on my Astro - I didn’t think it would matter, but I’m constantly walking outside a straight line now…, not to mention how inconvenient it is when parked up close to another vehicle, however I kind of like hanging stuff on the inside of those double doors - I’m a zip tie nut and zip tie, or cable cuff stuff onto the wire window screen protectors, stuff stays there when I slam the doors shut.

Frankly I have not examined up under the fender wells to see what an additional 1.5” would do in terms of closeness & the rare time I’m loaded heavy. I figured someone out there has already done the homework for me - maybe not.

I just think after market stuff —— well - - -, let me say --- I just don’t like aftermarket rims, I’m an OEM type & I really like the looks of the GM 8 lug 8 x 180 rims out there…you see the same rims on different GM trucks, and 1 truck looks good w/ those rims, and you’ll see another paint scheme with the same rims, and 2nd truck looks even better - off & after market stuff makes a unit look a bit out of place, fallen behind, lost brand, what is that?, sorry, I’m focusing on GM rims - frankly I’ll most likely get a good used OEM takeoff set of 4 from someone that prefers after market to OEM. I just like the OEM rims.

Maybe the manufacturer of the OEMs will accommodate my 16 x 6.5 hub…point well taken - how can I say I don’t like after market stuff when I’ve never looked completely at what Tire Rack offers - Ok, I’ll go look!
____

canucklehead, “Not worth the hassle...", sigh, - your comment is pretty much right on correct, your taking the wind out of my sails!
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:29 AM
CF Veteran

..Sorry...lol. You are not the first person to want to do a modification just to fit some wheels that were a great deal....if that helps......

Have you looked at what aftermarket options there are for the 6 lug wheels?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chevy-Express...-/141041827389
Old March 26th, 2015, 7:17 AM
CF Beginner

canucklehead,

These are GM rims I like....

https://www.google.com/search?q=8x18...rA7DVabPVvM%3A
Old March 26th, 2015, 5:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, now I understand what you are trying to do. I don't recall seeing anyone on this forum upgrading to those GM wheels, but someone could chime in.

I'm thinking about the custom van builders.. they use 18" wheels, but aftermarket. Possibly they would know about the spacers?

Keep us updated...
Old March 27th, 2015, 9:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 Wheel Adapters 8x6 5 to 6x5 5 ¦ Chevy Silverado 6 Lug Wheels on 8 Lug Suburban | eBay

not too sure if thats the one
Old March 27th, 2015, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Those would work if he was going to use an offset mag to bring the tires back into the wheel wells, but he wants stock, and those and other adapter plates will push out the tires too much....
They look nice though.....
Old November 10th, 2017, 1:38 AM
CF Beginner

It seems that will cost you much trouble.Not worth the hassle for sure.
Why not see other 8 lug wheel spacers online such as https://www.hexautoparts.com/8-lug-w...acers-adapters

Quick Reply: 16x6.5 to 18x180 rims - adapter plate needed