Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1983 Chevy G20 throttle/stutter problem.

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2013, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 1983 Chevy G20 throttle/stutter problem.

Hey, forum. I'd was happy to find this site. I recently purchased a 1983 G20 converted by Get-Away. It drove really well except when I would punch the gas. It would not accelerate, only generate some popping noises like air was getting in somewhere it should not. (this still happens - air pops out of the air filter.) Then, after getting it smogged, I was driving uphill to a friend's and it began to stutter. I quickly stopped, pulled over, got directions to my friend's mechanic and rolled downhill in neutral into the shop.

The mechanic has checked the ignition module (works fine) and he confirmed the timing is set correctly, too.

Any ideas? It idles perfectly and rolls in drive and reverse while in gear. Then, giving it gas, it seems the timing is off/it misfires/stutters/etc.

Fuel filter? 99% of all the tubes were replaced recently, though the few that haven't been look pretty brittle.

Any thoughts/ideas would be well-appreciated.

All the best!
Old September 19th, 2013, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

faulty fuel injector. You have TBi right?
If so, try swapping the two injectors. They are the same. Maybe the primary one is not working right.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your response. The problem has been resolved.

The mechanic looked at a few things off the bat: ignition module, fuel pump, and timing. All items checked out.

He then checked the timing chain and said it was well within tolerance and wouldn't be the issue.

Pardon my layman terms - inside the distributer, there are flaps that he said could stick sometimes or not operate correctly. He replaced the entire distributer for $160.

Now, I can floor the accelerator and there are no popping noises. The van now just ZOOMS. It also turns over much fast in the lower gears and doesn't rev as high in 1st and 2nd. Does all that seem to fit?

Happy it's running well and he didn't charge much for labor. My pocket's pretty happy about that.
The following users liked this post:
James Baldwin (October 12th, 2019)
Old September 23rd, 2013, 6:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good mechanic...
The following users liked this post:
James Baldwin (October 12th, 2019)