Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1988 G20 dome light

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2015, 12:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 G20 dome light

I just bought this van. It is a conversion van and does not have a dome light where GM would have put one. When I turn the headlight **** or open a door to turn on a light nothing comes on. I need a wiring diagram for the headlight switch to see which wire controls the domelights then I can see if it has power. I don't see a fuse slot marked dome lights so I don't know which fuse controls the dome light circuit. I think the orange wire on the switch is for the dome light but as far as the door switch wire I don't have a clue.
Old October 30th, 2015, 8:25 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

go to http://repairprocedures.com and pay the $5 for one days access. You'll have what you need there, for your radio too.
Old October 31st, 2015, 2:09 PM
CF Junior Member

On my old 84(sold) I put in a rear view mirror with the lights instead of trying to put the old dome light in.

Chevrolet Blazer 2002 2003 2004 Rear View Mirror

mine was $10 from scrap yard and I took the harness.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 9:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by edac
On my old 84(sold) I put in a rear view mirror with the lights instead of trying to put the old dome light in.

Chevrolet Blazer 2002 2003 2004 Rear View Mirror

mine was $10 from scrap yard and I took the harness.
That is an awesome idea. I'm planning on going to the scrap yard anyway. The idea I had was to get the lights that go at the bottom of the dash. Dodge vans had them. And where the TV is put a dome light up there. getting power to it is the problem.
Old November 8th, 2015, 5:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Haven't been to the salvage yard yet. Been too busy. Today I finally dug into the stereo problem. I got the other front speaker to work but the Pioneer stereo is shot. I can't see the screen can't get it to light up. I tried wiring it a couple of different ways to no avail. I might go get an old am/fm/cassette stereo to put in there and just use a cassette adapter for my MP3. In the neighborhood I live in there's no sense in putting in a fancy stereo only to have it get stolen. One thing I'm considering is a hidden kill switch. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old November 15th, 2015, 6:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok I got this problem all figured out today with the help of expirimentation. There were 2 dome lights that had switches on them. The one by the back door turned on when the back door was open if the switch was on but I always turned the switch off before I shut the door. Same with the one by the side door. So today I left the switches on and shut the door. They both turned off when the door shut. Problem solved. The van also has aircraft style dome lights that had a master switch up near the front of the van between the sun visors. There is power to that light that is on all the time even without ignition power. I got a rear view mirror with lights from a 2001 Blazer XLT that is going in and with live power up in the console that hangs up in the front I have power less than a foot away from the mirror. The problem is that the mirror has 6 wires going to it. orange, another orange, green, black, blue, brown with a black stripe. I'm searching for a color code now.
Old November 15th, 2015, 9:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Forgot how I did mine 10 years ago. Ask in the "Blazer forums" or the "S10 forums" They seem like a helpful bunch of guys over there.
Old November 16th, 2015, 12:28 AM
CF Junior Member

I found some posts about those mirrors on the blazer forum. From what I can tell I have a mirror from a vehicle that had on star and it's supposed to auto adjust. I just want the lights to work with the dome lights if possible.
Old November 25th, 2015, 11:48 PM
CF Junior Member

I installed the mirror yesterday. The black and orange wires were all I needed. The console above had a set of wires that are live all the time so I had power 8 inches away. I'm really going to love having this mirror. In other news I also installed a brand new used radio. Am/fm/cassette with 5 band equalizer. It came out of a 95 Buick Lasabre.
Old November 30th, 2015, 6:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Here is my new radio:

It came out of a 1995 Buick Lasabre. All I had to do is switch the mounts. Wire color code was the same.