Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1990 G20 van front and rear suspension replacement

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2018, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 G20 van front and rear suspension replacement

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to upgrade my front suspension but I cant seem to find any videos or resources for my model year. Does anyone know of some user friendly resources for someone with light mechanical experience (I do my brakes, calipers, regular maintenance).

I am also going to be taking it to some farmland in Colorado soon. I wouldn't mind raising it a couple inches, any recommendations? I've been comparing reviews from various sources but some real experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 22nd, 2020, 7:28 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default G20 tweaking

while you were posting I was fiddling
I found front springs too soft and larger than other springs. Use poly spring spacers and maybe a taller cup under springs. Mine hated gas shocks on front. Rancho works well.
Rear exact opposite. Started with cool helper springs since it only had 3 leaves on springs. Tried several shocks. Then I spotted some gas sachs on a newish suburban at jy got them cheap. Perfect. Alot of my parts are hunted down with a tape measure. Rear springs I think are a bit over 56 inches. Almost put dodge springs on it but found beefy 5 leaf set off a mid 70s 4x4 Chevy that did the trick. Hope you didn't give in. Replaced my 700r with corvette unit. You'll need to study tv cable. And 3 year after I got it I'm on the verge of junking the tbi. If you haven't met it-you will