Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1993 Chevy G20 Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2016, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Chevy G20 Coolant Leak

Back in October, on Halloween, I bought the van of my dreams for $400, a '93 Chevy Van G20, with the hightop and TV inside, and of course the curtains and conversion bed. It has massive rotted holes in the body, it pulls to the left hard when you try to break, and I absolutely love it. Still don't know why it pulls to the left, though.

My main issue today, is that it always had this strange smell, and occasionally some sort of steam came out of the vents, or fogged up the dash cluster. Well, I was out doing body work on the van, when I saw dirty coolant leaking out all over the passenger side of the front. I'm pretty sure it's the heater core, but I haven't had the time to rip it apart and check. It leaked out over the front passenger floor and then dripped down from somewhere underneath the van. I want to get some other opinions on it, see what people say, whether it's a pipe or if the heater cores are known for going, or if it's something totally different.
Also, if anyone has any ideas on the brakes, that'd be handy as well. I replaced both front pads, calipers, and the bearings and rotor on the passenger side. It pulled hard to the left before I replaced them, and it straightens out after a second. I'm thinking it might be either an alignment issue or something with the drum brakes, but again, I'd love to hear what everyone thinks, as I'm kind of on a budget, and I don't want to keep throwing time and money at it until it works.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 9:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heater cor for sure.
Brakes, something is bad on the right side.
check the master cylinder. and pull the drums. A seized wheel cylinder could cause a pull, but not too much of one. Are the front calipers floating fine? Check the sleeve that they float on......sometimes crud builds up on the end, and restricts how much the caliper can float. That will give you uneven wear on the pads.
You should have done both roters and wheel bearings. Always both sides.