Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1993 G20 Brake Pedal Creep.

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2016, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 G20 Brake Pedal Creep.

Hey folks. Just joined.
20160831_111602 by LodeCreative, on Flickr
I've recently purchased a 1993 Chevy G20 Mark III conversion van. I bought this van relatively cheap knowing that it needed some brake work, but did not at that time know anything about the ABS set up.
So I went through the van and pretty well replaced all the major brake components; master cylinder, both calipers/pads, both rear wheel cylinders, and all three hoses.
After getting all of this installed and bled, It drove much better with plenty of stopping power, however the pedal would still slowly creep to the floor for prolonged stops at lights. I've replaced the master cylinder yet again with another new unit. I realize these have a high fail rate straight from the factory, but I've begun looking into other possible issues.
I've come across this Bleeding ABS Systems Case study 3 which details the bleeding procedure for the van's ABS modulator and that air in the modulator can have a similar effect as a bad MC.
I've not had a chance yet to go through the procedure to see if that would correct the problem, but began to look through the system to get an idea of what I was looking at.
Right off I noticed that one of the 2 high pressure accumulator bleed valves had been rigged with a couple of zip ties (pictured)
20160917_171711 by LodeCreative, on Flickr

Does anyone know anything about these systems? Why would this be rigged this way, and would it cause the fade issue? If this module is bad, I may just replumb the brakes without ABS as I simply can't afford the $500+ for a new module right now.

Thanks for any info