Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express, Savana & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-savana-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   1994 Chevy G30 engine trouble.. (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-savana-g-series-vans-30/1994-chevy-g30-engine-trouble-89886/)

1994G30 April 11th, 2018 8:15 AM

1994 Chevy G30 engine trouble..

Hi everyone, this is my first time ever posting on a forum, so sorry if I’m not doing it right or it’s not in the right section or whatever.. Just need some help from you.
I have a 94 G30 with the 4.3. The engine is a fresh total rebuild by a business in Bangor Maine, has less than 20 miles on it, I’ve replaced; full distributor, plugs wires rotor, solenoid, oil pressure gauge, temp gauge, new fuel pump and filter, new air filter, cleaned out throttle body completely, new Idle control valve, new battery, new starter, I’ve also got rid of the catalytic converter altogether so exhaust is clear. and I’m sure there’s more but I forget as I scratch my head in disbelief as it still won’t run properly...
it will start up great and Idle well, has proper spark voltage, correct fuel pressure, it’s timed to factory correct.
But when you put it in gear... it will either just shut off right then, or it will almost die but then correct itself, then when you try to pull away in gear it will splutter and spit and die out if you give it too much gas. If you feather the accelerator constantly it will eventually get up and go, but then the trans shifts erratically, sometimes shifting to neutral, or just staying in 2nd.

If I turn distributor forward about 5mil past factory recommended, it will run much better, and accelerate but still has dead spots and bogs down with full gas applied.
Im throwing parts at it at this stage, got an EGR valve coming in the mail soon also. But disconnected it totally and plugged vac line today and it made no difference whatsoever.

Any thoughts, opinions or facts from you guys would be most greatly received!!
Thanks

StanVan April 11th, 2018 12:42 PM

Were all those parts you listed done AFTER the rebuild?

1994G30 April 11th, 2018 12:45 PM

Yes they were. When we got engine back from shop it wouldn’t run for anything. So we had to completely re-time it and adjust valves and balancer etc. so each of the new parts has been a process of elimination one at a time

StanVan April 11th, 2018 2:09 PM

I'm thinking distributor is off, considering moving it has some effect.

1994G30 April 11th, 2018 2:13 PM

I had a suspicion of that also, because the ring on shaft of distributor seems to be loose, like it’s been pryed off. But it’s brand new so I didnt give it much thought. If I advance it past correct time setting it will run much better. However if I shut engine off after that, when I try to restart it, it won’t start because timing is so far off

mountainmanjoe April 11th, 2018 3:56 PM

Maybe there's something wrong with the transmission.

1994G30 April 11th, 2018 3:58 PM

Would that cause engine to run rough and backfire though? It’s possible it has something wrong with it, but it was only rebuilt last year

mountainmanjoe April 11th, 2018 4:06 PM

If it was rebuilt then never mind.

I think you've covered the ignition system.
You say air delivery is OK.
Last ingredient is Fuel. You said fuel pressure was OK, but what about delivery? Is it TBI?

1994G30 April 11th, 2018 4:13 PM

Yeah air delivery is good, fuel pressure good. It is a TBI yes, I totally cleaned out TB with TB cleaner, but it really was clean to begin with.. Honestly I’m not all that confident with TBI, not really sure what I’m looking for on that

mountainmanjoe April 11th, 2018 4:27 PM

hmm.. I suppose that if it idles OK then fuel delivery is fine.

Isn't there a system which automatically advances ignition timing in proportion to engine load ... perhaps vacuum driven?