Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1994 G20 - How do I remover the driver window regulator?

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2018, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 G20 - How do I remover the driver window regulator?

Hi folks,

I have a 1994 G20 conversion van...power windows. When I bought the van 6 years ago, both front door power window motors were replaced...somehow they managed to both go bad at the same time. That work was done by the previous owner's mechanic, so I don't know the procedure, and, amazingly, can't find a single video or thread anywhere on the internet to help.

Anyway, I have the door panel off, and bought a replacement motor (though I'm wondering if it's the REGULATOR that's bad, as opposed to the motor...I guess I'll find out).

I taped the window in the up position, and removed the bolts holding the regulator/motor in place...but it won't budge...I can't figure out what I need to do to actually extract the regulator/motor so I can replace the motor.

Can anyone give me some hints? Here's a picture of the door:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/11L7NF33xzj8cBJ9A

Thanks so much
Old September 12th, 2018, 5:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

it been a while since ive done one....you are going to have a hard time removing the regulator with the motor attached....you can remove the motor with the regulator still in the door but it is a process.......remount the regulator to the door....you should be able to see one rivet through the hole in the door...the other two are inaccessible unless yo modify the door....there should be two dimples in the metal part of the door directly over the other two rivets....use a 1.1/4" hole saw and make two holes in the door.....you should be able to see the other two rivets.drill all 3 rivets and the motor will release from the regulator.....this method is good for 2 reasons........1 you dont need to remove the regulator ( which is nearly impossible ) 2 you leave the regulator attached to the door with the glass still in the door....this way the weight of the glass keeps the spring in place in the regulator......the new motor usually comes with 3 small bolts and nuts to reattach the motor to the regulator........good luck....