Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

'89 G20 305 stalling at idle

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2018, 2:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 G20 305 stalling at idle

This engine has about 140k, pretty sure. I bought it 118k though the hundreds digit is unavailable. I doubt it was 218k, the condition was too good.

Lately I have a problem with stalling at idle while in D. If I quickly shift to N or P the engine will continue running. I rebuilt the throttle body, no change. I raised the idle slightly with shade tree trick, I JB Welded a thin piece of brass at the place where the throttle stops, determining idle speed. It helps somewhat but the idle is too high, though not horribly so. I do get that this is a hacked, cowboy solution, apologies to the word 'solution.'

I have a buddy who determined that my AC clutch is frozen. He thinks it might be causing drag resulting in the stalling out. The inner part of the clutch won't turn. He says at rest one ought to be able to turn it with one's fingers.

Anybody know about this?
Old June 9th, 2018, 5:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think I can rule out the AC. Should have done this before posting - I un-tensed the serpentine belt and the AC pulley freewheels just fine. I rarely use it, I'll keep on eye on it, see if it works.

But I am still at the stalling issue. I've looked for vacuum leaks before, I'll look again.