Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1995 G30 - Starter Bad?

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2018, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1995 G30 - Starter Bad?

Hello. My van will not start.

Here is some background:

I bought the van about 2-3 months ago. Once I got it home, it started having issues starting. It was slow to start and would take a couple of tries before it came to life. At first I thought it was the battery and I replaced the battery, but it still will not start. When I turn the ignition it just clicks once. I had forgotten to actually check the battery (try to lights, etc) before replacing it. The battery was most likely pretty old anyways, but now it does nothing. It just clicks once when I turn the key and nothing happens. My thought is its the starter. Anyone have any ideas?
Old October 25th, 2018, 8:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What do the terminals look like? Or the cables? A van that old may have corrosion issues. Side terminals are better than traditional lugs, but they're not perfect.
Old October 25th, 2018, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

The terminals are on top not the side. It looks like they actually spliced the cables with a kit. I was thinking about replacing the cables when I change the starter if that is the problem. Everything works as far as the battery though. Lights, key buzzes when you put it in, etc.
Old October 26th, 2018, 5:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wack the starter a few times with a hammer. If it cranks after doing that, you know its the starter. Double check those battery cables on both ends for clean solid connections.
Old October 26th, 2018, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by greenfire
Wack the starter a few times with a hammer. If it cranks after doing that, you know its the starter. Double check those battery cables on both ends for clean solid connections.
I've heard about doing this, but is it possible that may damage the starter if its not the starter? I know that at least it used to be that some starters had ceramic inside and if you gave it a wack to start it, it would break completely.
Old October 27th, 2018, 12:30 AM
CF Veteran

I've not heard of any ceramic pieces in any starter.
Old October 27th, 2018, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

That is something my father used to say many years ago. Maybe it was short lived many years ago or maybe he was wrong, but he worked on cars all the time.
Old October 27th, 2018, 11:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the hammer out and start wackin. Let us know what happens.
Old October 27th, 2018, 3:24 PM
CF Veteran

There might have been Bakelite in the old starters back in the day. And that wouldn't handle hammer time at all. But these starters don't have any of that.
Old October 27th, 2018, 5:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

In my experience a few light taps is all it takes - not like your'e trying to knock the thing out of the car! I like to have a helper hold the key in the start position when I rap the starter. I drove a 68 El camino an entire semester of college using this starting method!