Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1997 Chevy Express Computer

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2017, 5:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1997 Chevy Express Computer

So I need a replacement ECM computer for my Express. What is my best option, should I just grab a wreckers used one for cheap and hope for the best? Or source a place that does replacement computers? The Dealer wants a ridiculous price. Are they plug and play or does it have to be "flashed"? I am in Toronto Canada if anyone has any advice on where to source this item. Thanks for your replies.
Old July 15th, 2017, 5:50 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try RockAuto, don't know your engine size but here is an example:

1997 CHEVROLET EXPRESS 2500 5.0L V8 Engine Control Module (ECM Computer) | RockAuto
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I bit the bullet and went to the Dealership. 1 hour labour showed multiple codes. Then $600 for the computer. 1 hour labour to program and 1 hour install. $1,300 later and i'm on the road. They also cleaned up all the connections leading to the computer. Finally running strong and no codes anymore. The service advisor asked me "do you really want to spend this money on a 20 year old van?". Well yes I do. It's like an addiction. With no payments every month like my friends. This old girl keeps humming along. My Wife and I travel all over Canada in Her. She is the vehicle of choice on "The Boys" annual fishing trip summer and winter. We have used Her whenever we have to move a large group of people to and from the Airport and She is just plain fun to drive. So yes She is worth it. everyday.