Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

LEDs and Hyperflashing.

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2018, 8:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LEDs and Hyperflashing.

So what have you done folks with LEDs in old Express?, installed a resistor or a new LED friendly flasher? Before buying either want to know what actually works.
Old October 13th, 2018, 9:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know about the '01s, but the newer ones don't have a flasher relay. All you'll need is the resistors anyways. Resistors put the load back into the equation to make the original relays work. Or, you forgo the resistors and replace the relay. You don't need to do both resistors and the relay. But here's the catch; If you go with resistors, you can't go back to regular bulbs if something happens, and you can't get LEDs. But if you go to an electronic relay, you can. Those electronic relays work with both LEDs and regular bulbs.

On my '16, they fool you. Lots of electronics. No relay. It has a "Body Control Module", that controls flashing, produces a sound that gets pumped through the left door speaker, that mimics the sound of a flasher relay. It took me 20 minutes to find the sound coming from the effin' door speaker.
The following users liked this post:
Tx_Perez80 (May 21st, 2021)
Old October 13th, 2018, 9:53 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
I don't know about the '01s, but the newer ones don't have a flasher relay. All you'll need is the resistors anyways. Resistors put the load back into the equation to make the original relays work. Or, you forgo the resistors and replace the relay. You don't need to do both resistors and the relay. But here's the catch; If you go with resistors, you can't go back to regular bulbs if something happens, and you can't get LEDs. But if you go to an electronic relay, you can. Those electronic relays work with both LEDs and regular bulbs.

On my '16, they fool you. Lots of electronics. No relay. It has a "Body Control Module", that controls flashing, produces a sound that gets pumped through the left door speaker, that mimics the sound of a flasher relay. It took me 20 minutes to find the sound coming from the effin' door speaker.
Good old days u?!!!

I do have the relay, and I agree, If something happens I can go back. But I have read in Amazon reviews that the relay for LED wont work.. Just wondering if anyone here has tested both ways.

Last edited by GeneveConversionVan; October 13th, 2018 at 9:56 PM.
Old October 13th, 2018, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

With the correct relay, it will work without resistors. Standard relays use the load of the bulbs to make it flash. That's why the flashing goes nuts when a bulb blows out. Try this link for more info;

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...oad-resistors/
Old October 13th, 2018, 10:58 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
With the correct relay, it will work without resistors. Standard relays use the load of the bulbs to make it flash. That's why the flashing goes nuts when a bulb blows out. Try this link for more info;

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...oad-resistors/

Great link, thanks!

I wonder what I will get once I replace the low/high beam with LEDs...
Old October 14th, 2018, 8:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This outfit is installing projectors and HIDs in Express/Savana headlight assy. https://www.sickhids.com/gm?lightbox=dataItem-jm11s0p6
It's just shy of $600 for a pair (all new parts), you can DIY it for less than half but it is a lot of work to seperate the headlight housings (without damaging) and reseal them. TRS https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ sells high quality DIY kits.
Old October 14th, 2018, 11:18 AM
CF Active Member

My 01 has this type of headlights, I dont think those will fit as the are for 03-on