Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2001 Express 2500 fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2016, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Express 2500 fuel issues

Hi Everyone,

New guy here, I have read through the forums and have my problems down to two issues: Here is the problem:
2001 Express 350 engine with 190,000 miles on it, just stopped running on the way home from work. Had to have it towed home. It cranks, has spark and new fuel pump that I can here moaning in the tank, it sounds funny. Removed the dog house put on a pressure gauge and came up with only 10 psi that bleeds off rapidly.

So, I don't really want to drop the tank again. BUT the other thing is that it could be the fuel pressure regulator which looks like a pain in the but under the upper manifold. What do you all think.........It has always been a long cranking van. Would long cranking before start up be a Fuel Pressure Regulator that has now just gave up?

Thanks in Advance......
Old December 31st, 2016, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Old December 31st, 2016, 7:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The fuel pump should be running as soon as you turn the key to on, like you said you hear. If it sounds funny maybe its faulty. The cranking of the engine has no effect on the fuel pump.
Have you checked for codes. The regulator works based on information that its fed. It that info is wrong.......
I had a tourque converter locking and unlocking..... Turned out to be a bad camshaft position sensor.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 11:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Okay I don't claim to be an expert mechanic but 10 pounds of pressure on an EFI motor? That has to be low I would think?