Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2001 G1500 Express Passenger rear floor, seats, seating change

Old February 15th, 2016, 11:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 G1500 Express Passenger rear floor, seats, seating change

Is the rear floor in a g1500 passenger floor different from a cargo van ?

I have a seven seat passenger van, 2 + 2 + 3.

I have not torn up the carpet to check, but for some reason I believe the floor is raised up about 2 inches where the seats are for the rear Seat Pedestals ( GM part # 15031899 ) to attach to the floor.

The second row of bucket seats has a very large space between it and the front seats. This row has seat attachment points where the seats are that are not used. Do seat attachment points exist under the carpet that would permit the center seat to be moved forward, same for the back seat.

Thank You
Old February 16th, 2016, 8:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The bench seats fit onto a long metal rail that is bolted through the floor from inside the van. There is an extra layer of underlay under the carpet to raise the cpt up so you dont notice the rails. There is no other point to fit the benches.....you would have to more the rails forward, and drill all new holes....
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Do you have any idea how far forward the rails extend from the back or how far they are from the front seats.

The second row bucket seats and back bench seat in my van have about 3 feet of leg room in front of them. The back seat is about 2 feet from the back door. This leaves lots of space that I now want to use.

Nothing like a 7 seat express van.
Old February 16th, 2016, 6:36 PM
CF Veteran

No sorry I can't remember. Have you looked online for pics?
Old February 16th, 2016, 8:34 PM
CF Junior Member

I will search the net a bit.

There could be several mounting places if the rails are very long and are under the carpet. This is what is under the back seat.

Old February 17th, 2016, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

That looks aftermarket. You have a conversion van I guess. I have the 2 3 person benches.
Old February 17th, 2016, 6:57 AM
CF Junior Member

In the glove box we have a 2001 Express LT supplement manual from GM for the entertainment system, seats in the van, rear air and fog lamps.

I found a few pictures on the net with seat rails. Later in the day I will try using a thermographic camera to detect rails under the carpet.

Do not know the source of the attached images, searched for "express seat rails" and over 20 images were displayed. Assume these are from the same van.

Last edited by Salto_jorge; February 17th, 2016 at 7:11 AM.
Old February 17th, 2016, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Yup. Those long ones are the rails. Each pair of slots for the seats.....then the little rod slides through from the side.....There is about 8 or so bolts through the floor over the length of the rail.
No idea what she is grinding on.....

Search this Thread