Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2002 Chevy 2500 Exp Van

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2015, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Chevy 2500 Exp Van

I have a BU/SIGNAL fuse problem: the BU LAMP/SIGNAL fuse blows every time I turn the ign to Run. I just replaced the Back-up Lamp/Neutral Safety Switch, plugged in both plugs, did not hook up shift cable(?) or (did not)mount BUL/NSS back in place on transmission case, plugged in new fuse, turned on ign and fuse held, started truck, fuse held.
So I get back under van and hook up shift cable and re-attach Back-up Lamp/Neutral Safety Switch to transmission case, turn ign to run, fuse pops???
I cannot figure out what the problem is and do not know what to do next... Can anybody help me resolve this issue???
Thanks for ANY HELP, really frustrated with this...
Luke in OKC

New Question, same issue: is there a possibility the case/mounting bracket(which is metal) for the Back-up/Neutral Safety Switch is grounding out?

Last edited by koolhandluke; January 1st, 2016 at 10:56 AM. Reason: more informaiton received
Old December 31st, 2015, 4:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you checked all bulbs for shorts and bad grounds.....
Old December 31st, 2015, 5:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koolhandluke... any relation to Laid Back Luke?

Make sure you are using the correct fuse.
Old January 1st, 2016, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

I have checked the bulbs, they are good... 1 back-up socket looked like it might have moisture in it so i put a heat gun on it for a few minutes... thanks
Old January 1st, 2016, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

no relation that i know of :>)... yes replacing 20A with 20A... thanks
Old January 3rd, 2016, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

quick update: I have performed the following troubleshooting from fuse box to NSS...
- with the NSS plug connected to NSS
with ohm meter the PINK that runs from fuse box to the NSS rings to ground in the following test: ign OFF in PARK and ign RUN in PARK or REVERSE
- with the NSS plug disconnected from NSS
with ohm meter the PINK that runs from fuse box to the NSS rings to ground in the following test: not at all
- with the NSS plug connected and the BU Light wire cut
with ohm meter the PINK that runs from fuse box to the NSS rings to ground in the following test: ign OFF and ign RUN in PARK
- with the NSS plug disconnected and the BU Light wire cut
with ohm meter the PINK that runs from fuse box to the NSS rings to ground in the following test: not at all
...keep in mind the NSS im testing when plugged in is brand new, installed 01/01/2016...
any thoughts or suggestions?