Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2002 Class B motorhome. Side door handle/door VERY difficult to open.

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2017, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Class B motorhome. Side door handle/door VERY difficult to open.

Greetings, Just bough a 2002 Express Ext (Class B motorhome). The chassis is called a "cutaway" upon VIN lookup. It's an extended 3500 with one (single) side door that opens like a regular door. No slider.

I have to actuate the exterior handle and pull pretty hard on the door to get it to open. To an untrained person, they would think it is locked. (I did the first time).

Any thoughts on what needs replacing or adjusting?

Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old April 14th, 2017, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

Looks like you have a Roadtrek 200 camper. The side door is not part of the original van as it was added as part of the conversion done by Roadtrek. I suggest you post the same question on a Roadtrek forum.

Looks like a nice van.
Old April 14th, 2017, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Drober, Thanks for the reply and tip. I'll give it a shot over there. I didn't realize that door was part of the up-fit. I had an 01 Express many years ago and as I recall the side door handle was similar. Thanks again.
Old April 20th, 2017, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Here's what I have determined.

It appears the catch (not latch) is adjusted too far *IN* towards the cabin, thus when latched, there is excessive tension on the catch and latch. If I push in on the door panel by the latch area (to relive the tension) , then actuate the handle, it requires very little effort.

That said, does anyone know how to adjust the catch? Is it as simple as loosening it, moving it and re-tightening it?

I've attached a couple of pics.

It looks like the catch may have been adjusted previously as it is a bit off center from the washer. Maybe to fix wind noise, or a water leak or the like. Being a "hex" like it is, it looks like I might be able to just loosen it with a wrench and re-position it. I am hesitant to do that because I can't get to the back of it to see what is on the other side. I don't want to get in a position where I can't re-tighten it or worse, have whatever is on the back of it fall off and down into the body cavity.

Thanks
Attached Images