Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2003 Chevy Express 6.0 Head Removal

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2010, 4:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy Express 6.0 Head Removal

Can someone let me know if I can remove the heads on my van without pulling the motor out just need to know how big of a project I have.
Old August 20th, 2010, 3:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YOu should not have to pull the motor out but it is still a pretty big job! Are you mechanically inclined?
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

I think a little just changed a head gasket on a 1996 Ford Contour 2.0 with success. I don't want to give a garage $2,000 for my repair if I can try myself on my own time. The problem I have is a dead cylinder drivers side farthest one back so I think what happened is either a intake valve missing a section or broken off because with the valve cover off the rocker arms are moving like they should.
Old October 4th, 2010, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

Did you get it done? I have to do the same on my 2000, looking for advise/encouragement?
Old October 19th, 2010, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

I just completed the head removal/replacement on my 2000. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but really all it took was time. I asked the same question on an earlier post. Something like 14 hours to pull and 15 hours to put back in.

I got the Haynes and made 15 strips of paper with numbers on the top and went through it like a choose your own adventure book. It was earlier than yours (2000), but I think yours would actually be easier due to coil packs, better fuel injection and one piece intake (?). Buy the book and a torque wrench and pay attention and you'll do fine.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

so what was the outcome and cause for your dead cylinder repair? was it part of intake valve missing?
Old April 24th, 2017, 12:27 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a car lift - It only takes 1 hour to pull the body off the frame... will make working on the engine much easier, and you could refresh a lot of other things while you're at it!
Old April 24th, 2017, 3:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not know the answer but just food for though, you likely will have to remove the intake and heads to pull the motor out the front anyways I have replaced 11 van motors Dodge,Ford and Chevy motors the Chevy motors have the least clearance in the engine bay. If my memory serves me right the heads do come off with the motor installed.

To remove your motor would require removing the grill, headlight assemblies header panel radiator A/C condenser bla bla bla a lot of work
and we used a Bobcat with forks and a few links of chain to back the motor out of the engine bay. The most difficult when compared to Ford and Dodge but it is what it is. You seem hesitant I will say if you need to replace the heads or gaskets just do it.

Replace the heads with the engine installed assume a entire day maybe two (a weekend) so you don't rush and break something or hurt yourself. I would expect to break something or encounter one bolt that will take 3 hours to remove. as hfl67 said it will take time and you may need a break to keep your sanity so give yourself enough.

After you have completed the job you will question why you were so concerned.

Best of luck.

Last edited by solwav; April 24th, 2017 at 4:06 PM.