Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2003 Chevy Express BCM question

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2015, 8:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy Express BCM question

Been searching the internet and still cannot find a definitive answer. I'm installing a back-up camera and want to connect the reverse wire from my head unit to the BCM. However, I'm not sure which BCM plug has the reverse wire. Best I can tell it should be a light green wire, but I don't know which plug. Normally I know you could test while putting the van in reverse, but I have the thing completely taken apart at the moment.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There will be a wire on the steering column will there not?
Old October 23rd, 2015, 8:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
There will be a wire on the steering column will there not?
I'm actually not sure. My instincts tell me there should be but I don't know for a fact. I'll research that angle as well and see what I find.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 12:09 PM
CF Junior Member

After doing a bit more research and actually checking out the plugs in the van it turns out that with a little patience you can actually make some sense of the wiring diargams I was able to find. Looks like it's the light green wire on the black plug of the BCM that I'm looking for.
Attached Thumbnails 2003 Chevy Express BCM question-chevy-express-exterior-lighting.jpg  
Old October 25th, 2015, 12:29 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Of course you can make sense of the schematics, that's what they are there for. Please don't take my word as Gospel, but I believe GM wiring in these vans went through three phases:

1996 - 2002
2003 - 2008
2009 - Present

Perhaps there is a fourth Generation, perhaps I am a year off on somethings? I am not sure. My 2014 has a different BCM and Interior Fuse Block than the two wiring harness I purchases that were suppose to be from 2010 models (I think they are older).

Anyways, I could be wrong, but I think in your year there will be a wire coming from the BCM heading off into the fuse panel. I would assume the underhood fuse panel. This wire will be LOW AMPERAGE. It will drive a relay controling a circuit of higher amperage that the lights connect to. There should be no reverse wire in the steering column.

If you need the exact schematics for your year, go here http://www.repairprocedures.com . I think that's the url, it will cost you $5 for a days access. If you need the exact wire, color, size, actual OEM GM -> PM me. I am looking to sell small quantities, but I want money for it. It was expensive for me to collect.

In my opinion, you are better off to tap into the reverse wire from under the drivers seat, the fuse box there. That is how the factory does it. Run your new wire along the either harness going up the drivers side, or like the factory across and up the passengers side, into the dash, then across to your radio. Factory (to the Mirror) uses Pink for this if I recall, but it may be light green as that is Reverse. I would not touch a BCM wire. Don't do it.

Last edited by dberladyn; October 25th, 2015 at 12:41 PM.