Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2003 Chevy Express VSS wire

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2016, 4:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy Express VSS wire

Just wondering if there is access to a VSS wire inside the vehicle? I'm likely going to be upgrading my head unit to one with navigation and would like to, if possible, tap into the VSS wire but that's most feasible if there's access someplace inside the van.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 8:40 AM
CF Junior Member

OK, so I now know there is no access to that wire inside the vehicle so I'll need to tap into it under the hood and then run a wire inside the vehicle. Here's my question, can anyone tell me where the place one would route from the engine, through the firewall and inside the vehicle is located. I'm fairly certain that there is a spot already there specifically for such routing, just not sure where it is. A photo of what I am looking for would be great. I'm out of town for work at the moment so unable to check it out myself. I'd be great when I get back to already know what I'm looking for instead of having to spend a bunch of time hunting around for the right thing. Thanks
Old May 2nd, 2016, 9:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look around the brake pedal area. there should already be a couple grommets you can fish a wire through without cutting a hole.
Old July 27th, 2016, 2:58 PM
CF Junior Member

I ended up being out of town for months and just this past weekend finally got around to doing this. Thanks for the advice. There was a grommet right down by the brake pedal that I was able to use. Fished the wire through just fine without cutting any new holes. Hookup worked like a charm. Thanks again.
Old August 26th, 2019, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Can you tell me where the VSS was found and what color wire? Thanks!
Old August 27th, 2019, 12:10 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why does a radio need VSS?
Old August 27th, 2019, 5:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Speed compensated volume. GM used to put that in the factory decks too.