Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2005 3500 Brake light and stabilitrac issues

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2016, 8:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 3500 Brake light and stabilitrac issues

2005 Express 3500

Have 2 problems maybe some one might have some thoughts on.

First... Right rear brake and Turn signal light will not work. I have replaced all the bulbs, purchased new Flasher from GM, checked all the fuses, but still no right turn signal and Brake light in the rear. The front rear turn works, the rear running light works. I'm not very good at chasing electrical gremlins.
May be related, but some of the interior lights work will not come on and not all the electric door locks work at teh same time. The dealer said it was a bad BCM? Could all this be related?

Second.....
Stabilitrac engages briefly when starting from a dead stop once things warm up. I have replaced the Drivers Hub that contains the sensor recently with new GM parts and still having the same problem. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Pat
Old June 15th, 2016, 9:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you had it checked for codes?

The stabiltrack could be a bad sensor. The light and locks could be bcm, or could be a goofy ground, short in a different bulb. Have you checked them all, both sides front and back?
Old June 15th, 2016, 1:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As canucklehead mentioned check your grounds, it cost nothing to do and may solve at least a few of your issues.
Old June 16th, 2016, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Guys,
I'll have to check the codes. last time it went bad, it killed o2 sensors and a Cat on the passenger side.

I've checked all the bulbs and they seem to be good, the blinker flashes very quickly, as if it were a bulb issue. Could it be a bad Turn signal switch on the column? Is there a schematic some where that describes the locations of the grounds?

Thanks,
Pat
Old June 16th, 2016, 5:08 PM
CF Veteran

A superfast blinker is a sign of a filament shorted out inside the bulb. The 1157 bulbs have the brake and park light inside the same bulb. one breaks off and welds itself to the other and you get weird problems. Plus with the newer vehicles having computers....other things crop up.
Other things to look at beside grounds is your flasher module. Which might be tied to the daytime running lights if you have them......
Old June 17th, 2016, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

I'll replace all the bulbs on both sides this weekend just in case there's a gremlin hiding there. I've replaced the flasher module with one from GM (at 2x the cost of aftermarket) and it didn't make any difference. The Van is wired for towing and has a trailer brake module as well. I used a test light at the trailer plug and the left side flasher works, but the right does not. Don't know if that has anything to do with it ????
Old June 18th, 2016, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Can you trace the connections for the trailer harness? Is it factory or aftermarket?
Old June 20th, 2016, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

Factory harness.
Old December 4th, 2016, 5:58 AM
CF Beginner

Fixed the Stabiitrac issue, for now, I don't know if I'll be able to keep throwing sensors and hubs at it much longer, what a crappy design. It almost got my wife killed when it cut power pulling out into traffic once.

My biggest problem is tracking down the Right brake/Turn signal problem.

Replaced every bulb all the way around. Replaced the Flasher relay as well. Still no Right turn signal and right brake light. The weird thing is if you use the key fob to unlock the van, the right rear lights come on and flash just like the left side. I'm beginning to suspect the BCM is the problem. Can anyone give me a clue as to where it's located on my 2005 3500? I've also read the replacement BCM has to be reprogrammed to the specific VIN number and only by the dealer, correct?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat
Old December 5th, 2016, 8:44 PM
CF Veteran

On my 2013 there are separate fuses for each side right and left under the drivers seat. Did you check there when you checked the fuses?