Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2005 Chevy Express MidBus

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2008, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Chevy Express MidBus

One of our drivers found this problem. When I put the key into the ignition, a somewhat High loud tone (steady beep) sounds. It is different than the buzzer associated with the latch on the back of the vehicle that must be engaged in order to start it. I sounds like it is coming from the front of the vehicle. All gauges check OK. Any ideas? Fuse?
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Professional Mechanic

Default RE: 2005 Chevy Express MidBus

Is the high tone coming on with the normal warning buzzer or is the high tone the only one you hear? Could just be the warning horn dying. Does the sound stop in about the same amount of time as the warning buzzer would take togo off?
If all of that stuff checks out I would maybe check the pumps that turn on with preignition (fuel, power steering) and see if the sound is coming from one of those.
Just for my clarification does the sound happen when the key is put in or when you turn the ignition (to pre)or all of the above?
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Stewdogg! Thanks for your response!

Well, we did get it figured out. To answer your question first, both the warning buzzer and the tone are audible at the same time. I can eliminate the warning buzzer by unlocking the rear entry latch. The piercingly audible tone stayed on continually. It is pretty loud so it was tough to drive while it was activated. It did not come on until the ignition switch was put into the "pre-ignition" position.

What happened was one of the emergency windows had been opened. There is an emergency exit on the driver's side one seat from the back. The latch was in the up position and had been opened outward slightly. The tone is triggered when the window is opened not when the latch is raised.

Thanks for taking the time to help. Hopefully someone else will be able to use this!
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Professional Mechanic

Glad to hear that it was a cheap/easy fix.