Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2005 Express shifting hard but smooth at WOT?

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2015, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Express shifting hard but smooth at WOT?

Hi all, I just bought a 2005 GMC Savana with AWD +5.3L with 81k miles on it about a week ago.

My real first day of using it was today just driving around town running errands and on the drive home it starting shifting really hard from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. And by hard I mean like it had a shift kit hard. Up until this it shifted super smooth. Out of curiosity I gunned it and at WOT it shifts smooth still, but at part throttle its very hard shifts.

Today was the longest I have used it since I bought it about a week ago, everything else was short trips and a semi short drive home from the dealer.

I checked the fluid, seems fine, no real odors, and appears to be light red. Also No SES lights set or anything. But I didnt drive it long after it started shifting hard.

Any thoughts on this? Im not sure what to do here.

Im starting to feel like I bought a turd here, the heater/ac also stopped switching where it blows out the air out of nowhere today too...also no idea how to fix that either. Well, Thanks for any input.
Old November 8th, 2015, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

EDIT: I used my scanner and I have a Pending Code of P0894 - Transmission Component Slipping
Old November 8th, 2015, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Update:

Took for another drive, cant get it to shift hard again, also now the pending code is now no longer showing up when I scan.

Should I be concerned?..... Or lucky?
Old November 8th, 2015, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would take it to a tranny shop for a fluid filter and scan. Worth it for sure if you just bought the van. Give it a massive once over.
Old November 9th, 2015, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I would take it to a tranny shop for a fluid filter and scan. Worth it for sure if you just bought the van. Give it a massive once over.

Well took your advice and I took it to a tranny shop, they drove it with a scanner on it and said the torque converter is slipping and verified the P0894 code I had seen earlier. They said needs a rebuild and was quoted $2200 to $2400. Now I get to take the van back to the dealer I bought it from and fight to get it fixed. Never thought this would be a issue at 80k miles but the tranny guy said he has seen this problem as low as 50k...crazy!
Old November 9th, 2015, 9:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All it takes is some min wage kid doing deliveries that floors it at every light and there you go.....
its too bad.
At least if you end up getting it rebuilt then you know that will last the life of the van....