Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2006 Express 3500 won't start - makes buzzing noise

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2017, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Express 3500 won't start - makes buzzing noise

I suspect the battery is either dead or possible bad connection. We put in a new transmission and the battery was disconnected. My dad was working on it mainly and when I came over I noticed the key wasn't going all the way in and eventually got the ignition stuck (locksmith came and replaced the key cylinder so thats fine now), but while going through all this trying to figure it out we disconnected the positive terminal because we noticed one of the terminal bolts was stripped and not going back in.

During all this it was making the same buzzing sound it does when I try to start it. The sound appears to be coming from on top of the engine, not the fuse box. Before this I never had a problem starting it. We tried jumping it but it appears to not really be doing anything. My guess is just a dead/low battery, I have lights and some dash but when I turn the key to the start position i'm only seeing a dim check engine light.

I have to get this thing ready for work and wanna waste the least amount of time as possible. Any ideas? Or does the buzzing indicate anything particular.
Old October 30th, 2017, 8:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

So, it was buzzing at first without trying to start it?
Old October 30th, 2017, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by StanVan
So, it was buzzing at first without trying to start it?
That's right just messing with the positive terminal made it buzz like that the connection was stripped, I bought a new terminal bolt since then and redid it, now it only does it when the key is in on the start position.

My guess is that it's something with the battery is all, loose connection or dead battery or both. Tomorrow I'm gonna first try retightening the terminal connections, I cleaned them but maybe I need to redo it. After that I need to have the battery tested.

Last edited by AKPillarman; October 30th, 2017 at 9:30 PM.
Old October 31st, 2017, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Finally figured it out, turned out to be a bad ground.
Old October 31st, 2017, 9:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for letting us know. Glad you found the solution.