Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2007 2007 Chevy Express 2500 minimum rotor thickness

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2013, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 2007 Chevy Express 2500 minimum rotor thickness

I have a 2007 Chevy Express 2500 and would like to know what the recommended minimum thickness for the rotors is to ensure safe operation. HUH, put 2007 twice in title. Sorry can't erase it.

Last edited by Oulderfauder; August 15th, 2013 at 5:44 PM.
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it not stamped into the casting?
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I know it is wasteful BUT !! I feel when in doubt swap it out !! especially in brakes I just never want a reason a accident happened is cause I was being cheap and trying to save a few bucks on brakes.
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Is it not stamped into the casting?
Could be. Have not had the wheels of yet. 2007 and first time that pedal is low enough that I know a brake job is nearby. Just wondering about the rears as most pressure is exerted up front. The front will receive ECB`s USR 7094 rotors. Thanks.

Last edited by Oulderfauder; August 21st, 2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by spaceblonde
I know it is wasteful BUT !! I feel when in doubt swap it out !! especially in brakes I just never want a reason a accident happened is cause I was being cheap and trying to save a few bucks on brakes.
HUH. Being repairing my vehicles for 40+ years. Your``cheap`` comment is out of line. I do as much as I can myself as a result of having a wheel come off of a Datsun after a `proffesional`brake job when I was 17 years old and I like to have as much info as I can get to make an informed decision. I am an EX aircraft mechanic and know a bit about safety.

There are no stupid questions except those not asked. But there are plenty of stupid answers, like those unrelated to the question

Last edited by Oulderfauder; August 21st, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 9:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The pedal height should be the same, regardless of brake wear. However, your fluid level in the master cylinder will be low if the brakes are worn. But if its the rears you are talking about, then its harder to go by the fluid since the calipers have much less volume than the fronts.
I do a visual check twice a year when I swap my snow tires on and off.
Old September 5th, 2013, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
The pedal height should be the same, regardless of brake wear. However, your fluid level in the master cylinder will be low if the brakes are worn. But if its the rears you are talking about, then its harder to go by the fluid since the calipers have much less volume than the fronts.
I do a visual check twice a year when I swap my snow tires on and off.
You are correct but my fluid was low to start with and the pedal went marginally lower than normal. I check once a year at most with the tires on (inside only). If I find that the wear warrants it I take the tires off. I am doing the brakes this weekend and will have to bleed them as I am sure I have air in the system.