Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2008 Chevy Express loss of power

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2015, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Chevy Express loss of power

I have a 2008 Chevy Express passenger van and recently had an issue where I lost power to the transmission. I was driving around 50mph and was the engine only revved up when I was in drive and pushed the accelerator. The speedometer also read 0mph even though I was still moving. I was able to reengage the transmission by putting it into 2nd. I pulled over, stopped and started the vehicle and then was able to go again in Drive. I had the battery checked and it is good, the fluids are fine and the vehicle was just serviced at a chevy dealer 2 weeks ago (full transmission flush and other services).

Please let me know if you can help. I am driving back from Canada with my family (10 people) this weekend and the only thing the dealer can say is until we can reproduce it, nothing can be worked on!
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:30 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you know if your 2008 is drive by wire? Is there mechanical linkage to the throttle system and transmission or is it all electric? If it's all electric like mine... this post scares me.
Old June 5th, 2015, 7:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2002 has throttle linkage like the old days, and I had to replace the shifter cable. It is mechanical, but the tranny has electric shift controls inside.....
Old June 6th, 2015, 7:19 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kylebrownell
... and the vehicle was just serviced at a chevy dealer 2 weeks ago (full transmission flush and other services)...

Don't know how many miles you have but on high mileage vehicles I would never flush a transmission... just change fluid & filter and go on. All the crap settles into nooks & crannies that can come loose in a flush... and in turn doesn't all leave the transmission during the flush service. What's left floats around looking for another place to settle into. If that's the transmission filter - great, if not... Hoping this is not related to your issue.

You mention your speedo showed 0 mph so check to make sure the clowns at the dealership didn't damage the transmission harness - there are a few connectors near the pan... although they'd have to work at it to damage them.

On my transmission there is an electric vehicle speed sensor located at the rear, driver side just ahead of tailhousing which is where the speedo, etc get's the vehicle's speed signal.

I would check behind the service guys first to make sure they didn't damage the connector or harness but if the part itself is bad; the VSS is cheap - this is what it looks like (link is to Amazon) but you can get it at any auto parts store: Amazon.com: OEM VSS65 Transmission Speed Sensor: Automotive . (I had to guess at your van's trim details so just take this as an example; even my 2000's VSS looked identical to this one.)

I wonder if they damaged one of the solenoids when they pulled the pan? I also had to replace a solenoid (another cheap part, 2/$25 at Amazon) on my son's car after damaging one when pulling the transmission pan. Damage wasn't obvious at first & solenoid was located where pan would strike it if you're unaware of a 'trick' to getting the pan out easily.

Here is a link to another thread here where someone else had this issue: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...ps-zero-37777/
<script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script><script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script><script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script><script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script>

Last edited by lunghd; June 6th, 2015 at 7:33 AM.
Old June 30th, 2015, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father in law van does that it's got to do with the throttle body I believe there is a tsb for it